Suggestions for a swim team photoshoot

Hey guys...I'm going to be shooting a 70 kid swim team in a couple of weeks. Because they are wanting this to take place before a meet, I'll be doing the photos outside around 2pm. Suggestions for aperture and such? I'll be using my Nikon D90 and my 35mm f/1.8. I'm thinking f/16 or f/18, as I want to make sure I'm not going to be missing any detail in the faces for such a large team. They will probably be in five or six rows. This will be my first attempt at such a large group. Suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

May want to use a flash to help with shadows if it is sunny. I think you should get good detail in the faces.

35mm on a D90 isn't that wide, sure you'll have enough room?

Use this to work out appropriate dof.

Agree that some flash may be necessary to fill in shadows, unless you can put them in shadow!

I think I'll have enough room as I will be across an Olympic size pool shooting the group. Unless you think that won't work....what lens would you recommend? I could rent one.

Denise,

For this outside stuff, people often times bring in HUGE strobe setups to light the subjects properly. If you're across an Olympic sized swimming pool, your 35 should be wide enough, but you may actually want to bring your kit lens. Mostly because if you're going to be stopping down that far, the 35 isn't very wide and the kit lens will stop down to those apertures as well. The advantage of the 35 is the wide-openness of it. So for individual portraits, if you'll be doing those too, it could be brilliant. But for group shots, I'd definitely use the kit lens.

As for lighting up the group, that totally depends on where they'll be, where the sun is at, indoors or outdoors, etc.

What about shooting from the pool. Use a ladder in the pool and get some kids in the water some sitting on the deck and some kneeling and the back row standing. Not so wide and you can be closer to them so the heads are not little dots. Might also rent or borrow a few flashes for fill and use a polarizer for the water glare.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom