Suggestions for a tripod head...please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KEN S., Nov 5, 2005.

1. KEN S.

KEN S.

May 5, 2005
    Covington,LA.
    HI Y'all....I was wanting some input as to preferred types of tripod heads...I have a new 3021 bogen tripod.and need a head..have never really owned a tripod before..,,I see all types...all price ranges.
    Would you kind folks offer some suggestion.:confused:
    thanks..PEACE..Ken

2. Hi Ken,

I've been using the Markins M10 and like it a lot. It's smaller than its competitors, yet as strong or stronger. Here's an article discussing the M10 with comparisons to other heads of similar quality/price. http://www.nikonians-images.com/info/Markins-Whitepaper.pdf

There is an M20 for hoisting the really heavy glass.

Glenn

3. I am a big fan of Kirk products and use the BH-1 and the BH-3. The Markins and RRS(really right stuff) are both good as gold too. look at each of those sites and if you have further questions as to what YOU will use it for come back with those.
    Dave

4. Chiba

Chiba

Nov 3, 2005
    Ontario
    I second the Markins M10

…and I really want one... I currently have a manfrotto
    Grip action ball head 322rc2 and while quick for portraiture Its not as exact as the Markins I'm drooling over. They also use really nice plates far superior to Manfrotto’s quick release plates.
    my 2 Republic credits worth.. :tongue:
    Chiba

5. Hello Ken

This ain't going to be a popular suggestion, I may even be considered a heretic but here goes.:cool:
    I have 3021 and use a Bogan 486 RC :eek: , guess I'm cheap but I have been getting good results with this setup for 3 years. The fact that I am shooting fairly light weight gear is a helping factor. I shoot a D100 and my heavy lens is an 80-400 VR. For something like a D2X and 300 f/2.8 a heavy duty ball head might be in order.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...449&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Kind Regards

RB

6. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

7. Ken,

I've been using the Markins M10 for about a year for landscape and nature photography and really like it. Very smooth and reliable, relatively low weight.

Guy

8. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Kirk and Acratech

I am partial to the Kirk BH-1 but I also have a lightweight Acratech which performs well. If you are going to be using a heavier camera now or in the future make sure you buy a quality head.

9. I just recieved the RRS BH40 LR and can not say enough good about it. It is smooth as silk, light weight, solid construction and very versatile. If you are not going to use it for anything over a D2x/h with a 300mm or 70-200mm or plan to walk or hike with it, it is the perfect BH.

10. I have a real cheap 30.00 no name brand head for my Gitzo tripod and wanted to know which Ball head would be good to hold a D2X and the 70-200VR? Also I'm looking for a good deal. Not too expensive.

Thanks a lot for any input,

11. Guido

Guido Guest

A good tripod/head should withstand jiggle from outside influences. A Monfrotto 3221G with a Markins M10 head will sustain a 5" grouping of .30 calibre machine gun fire at 50 yards with 10 round bursts. That is considered excellent in the trade.

12. Thanks Guido but where do I find this Markins M10 and how expensive is it?

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Melissa,

One good source is Nikonians.

14. Guido

Guido Guest

I bought mine from Nikonians

15. I bought my Markins M20 online, from the source, at http://markinsamerica.com They are in Canada but ship to the US without any problem, take credit cards, etc... like any online merchant.

Here is the M10 page (knobs on the left)
    http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/M10-L.php

PS: Google is your friend (type Markins M10 and see what you get...)

16. Thank you Phillippe for the info. They are expensive. How do you compare them to the Gitzo or the Manfroto head or the Acrotech or Arca Swiss?

Thank you,

17. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Kirk BH-3

Melissa,

The Kirk BH-3 will hold the 70-200 and a D2X. The price is $255.00.

18. Melissa,

My understanding is that the Gitzo and Manfroto heads have their own format of quick release plate, whereas there are a number of vendors using the Arca-Swiss compatible format, which makes changing heads while keeping the same QR plates possible. Arca-Swiss was the gold standard, until newcomers like Markins, Really Right Stuff (RRS), Kirk, Acratech came into the picture. Arca-Swiss' stuff is big and expensive but will do the job (of course). The others all have one advantage or another over Arca-Swiss: you have to pick the compromise/advantage that is right for you, including size, strength, finish, price, etc... Acratech is light and relatively inexpensive, but also not as strong. The Markins is pretty small but smooth and strong.

I don't know what to tell you, but just think about this: do you really want to trust your $5K camera, attached to a $1.5K lens, to a $30 head? If it gets loose at the wrong time, it'll be quite a bit more costly...

19. KEN S.

KEN S.

May 5, 2005
    Covington,LA.
    thanks for the input.

hi Y'all...thanks everyone for your imput...I am processing ..and will decide soon...I think the piggy bank might decide actually!
    I hear great things about the Kirk products..and the Markins are really popular on some sites...decisions..decisions...
    PEACE..KEN