1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Suggestions for Camera/Laptop backpack

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by bill-e, Jul 27, 2009.

1. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Hi All,

My Sling Shot 200AW is just a bit too small for my D90 w/MB-D10 grip so I'm in the market for something else and since I travel a lot I was considering a camera/laptop case.

The Sling Shot 200 is 6" deep and with the side loading design, that's too small. If the camera was further in the case it would buldge and probably fit...I will test that out when I get home.

This is also where I'm going to store all my stuff. The 200AW may work if I put less in it so it's likely that can be my local go bag but I will need something bigger for trips etc.

I believe the Lowepro Sling Shot 350AW will work though it looks like I'll be maxed out with the equipment I already have and the big heavy bag seems to defeat the "sling" in its name. It is 6.5" deep

The Lowepro Vortex 200 seems to be about the right size as well.

I've googled dozens of other backpacks but feel I should ask for a few recommendations so I can narrow down the field.

So any recommendations for a bag that can hold the D90/grip/lens, about 6 lenses, SB800, filters, charger, misc supplies and a 15" or larger laptop and charger.

thanks

2. The Lowepro Computrekker AW may fit the bill. A couple of years ago, I took this to Barcelona for a week with the following:

D80
    Sigma 10-20
    Nikon 18-70
    Nikon 70-300 VR
    Nikon 35 f/2
    Nikon 50 f/1.8
    SB-600
    guide books
    chargers
    batteries
    filters
    5 days worth of clothing
    13" Mac Book (although I think it'll fit 17")

Granted, 5 days worth of clothing for Barcelona in July isn't much, but that space could easily have been taken up with more gear if I had checked baggage for my clothes.

3. I've been using the Lower Pro Computrekker AW, but am looking at the Think Tank Streetwalker Hard Drive or Shape Shifter.

4. dluusional

dluusional

Feb 10, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    take a look at the fastpack 350, this may fit your bill as well. I'm guessing it fits a 17" laptop, I have a 15.4" and there's plenty of room for more.

5. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I'm conflicted about a bag. I'm now questioning whether or not to get a backpack of shoulder bag. It doesn't really need to be a backpack, just something that can carry all my stuff including a laptop that I can also take on a plane.

I've contacted Think Tank as to weather the D90 w/battery grip will fit in their Airport Antidote bag. That seems to be about the right size for my stuff.

6. ^ I'm with you. I've been traveling with a Tumi backpack for for years and it's about at the end of its life. I'd love to find a subtle, business appropriate bag that I can use to schlep my laptop and photo gear.

7. Merkin

Merkin Guest

Unless you take all of those lenses with you everywhere during extended photo trips, have you considered getting some sort of airport carry-on hard case, and then just using whatever soft bag you particularly like with whatever you think you will realistically use that day while you are out in the field? A hard case would protect your gear better than a backpack, and a smaller day to day bag would be easier on your back.

8. IsamuM

IsamuM Not-quite- Moderator

Jan 11, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Hi Bill, I don't know how much of your stuff you want to carry, but the Think Tank Streetwalker HardDrive will carry just about any size laptop, a pro body (or body with grip), and quite a few lenses, including the 300/2.8. It should carry most, if not all, of your kit with ease.

9. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thanks all for the suggestions.

Let me tell you a bit more about me and why/what I want to do.

Like I said, this is a hobby not a profession....and I'm new at it. I'm not yet experienced enough to know exactly what I'll need and when.

My shoots are more like targets of opportunity. They occur mostly from my home where I would take my Slingshot 200 and my tripod and head into the woods.

Now with the D90/grip the Slingshoot is too small.

In addition to all this, I travel for work about 42 weeks a year and I'm thinking that on occasion I'd like to take my gear with me. Again, the shoot will not be planned so while I could just take my 18-200 I'd like to have more options.

Much of my travel is on small regional jets (CanadaAir and Embreier sized). I virtually never check luggage unless I'm going overseas since my loss ratio is very high and I dont want to start now. So for the RJ trips, my carry on roller bag is gate checked and my computer bag, or now my computer/camera bag goes onboard. On larger planes both would be carried on. Hence I've kinda zeroed in on the Think Tank Airport Antidote but I'm still looking.

So that's the kind of bag I'm looking for. I guess I could be a little more selective taking just my 18-200, 30mm and 10-20 for urban trips. That still leaves the problem of having a bag deep enough for the D90/grip/lens.

As for the computer....it will either be my work Del 620 (14") or my personal eeePC (10").

An interesting note on the eeePC. Though it does not designed for graphics and is single core, it performs reasonably well with Photoshop CS3 and ViewNX. I was afraid it wass going to be dog slow but PS loads right up. View NX takes a while to load.....it seems to churn while performing the initial file reading, but once loaded, both programs handle RAW files with ease.

I'm not sure I'd want to do any real touch up on either puter but for sorting out keepers the little 10" eeePC is more than fine.

Thanks again,

10. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Whoohoo, good news foir me. I got home today and experimented with the Slingshot 200 AW. WHile thinking about this all week I postulated that the camera might actually be taller than it is wide. When I got home I measured it and sure enough, the D90 w/grip sitting normal is about 6.25"...hence the problem with the Slingshoot. But as I suspected the camera turned 90° ccw on it's side was only about 5.50" which fits nicely in the Slingshot.

So at least my immediate need is satisfied so I can take my time and hopefully actually see some of the bags I'm considering before I rush into a purchase.

11. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I think I'm really leaning towards the Think Tank Airport Antidote. With US carriers flying more and more RJ's planning on being able to take a full size roller onboard is hit or miss. On the way back from San Diego on Friday I sat next to a United pilot and he told me that United was grounding its entire fleet of 737's (97) in favor of the cheaper to operate RJ's.

So for me, one who flies RJ's about 40 weeks a year, the Airport Antidote seems to be the safest and surest bet to always get on with (gate check my roller).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.