Suggestions for cheap second body?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Marco, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Marco

Marco

Sep 25, 2006
    Washington D.C.
    I'm going to a shoot outside of the country in a month or so and I am looking to buy a used 2nd body. I don't have $$$ to spend on it (and because I am saving up for the D3X!) I really am not considering any camera beyond $600. I was thinking of just brining my film SLR as backup, but shooting mostly digital lately, it makes no sense.

The only lens that would go on it is a wide angle lens.

Anyway, my choices are:

D50 (quite new and heftier than the D40 - I like a more solid feel - better metering?)
    D40 (cheapest and newest)
    D100 (?)
    Fuji S2 Pro (dynamic range but potential sensor problem and quite old)
    D1H or D1X

Any suggestions or advise?

Thanks!

2. What lenses do you already have now, or what lenses would you use on this second body?

I'd suggest D50. It's good enough to be a main body for many.

3. The D$) - Ideal Fit For Your Needs

I recently sold my D80 and bought a used (LN) D40 for about $400 on Craig'sList. It is VERY Light and yet as a photo-enthusiast (not a PRO) I cannot differentiate in the quality of my initial landscape shots between the D80 and the D40. Buy it. Travel with it. Then sell upon your return. You will not be sorry.

4. D2XDeb

D2XDeb

Oct 21, 2005
    Manhattan USA
    D1X
    the only bad thing about this camera is the battery life. Other than that, it's an awesome camera. I still find it to be one of the digitals out there

5. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd suggest you just take your film camera as a backup and continure saving for your new camera. Chances are you will never need to use the backup.

haze

6. PWPhoto

PWPhoto

Jul 21, 2006
    San Diego
    thanks a lot deb...now i am online looking to buy a used one...

7. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    I'm seeing a ton of D70's going anywhere from $375-$475 used. I'm thinking of picking one up just to have for a backup to my D70s.

8. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    Outside the States, I'm not so sure I'd want a D1x. You'll need plenty of batteries and a place to charge them. The film as back up is sound or a D50 as they're cheap on the used market.

9. Marco

Marco

Sep 25, 2006
    Washington D.C.
    I am bringing an 18-50 2.8, 28-70 2.8, 85 1.4 and maybe a 180 2.8. I plan to use the 18 on the back-up camerea.

I prefer not to return it though, I think I've only returned one item in my entire life! :).

I really want to take the film camera but I was hoping to use the 18-50 digital lens. It's an all manual film camera :(.

Not sure about the D70, although it's a good camera, I think the D50 will be better for low light conditions and less PP.

Never thought of that! Thanks! Scratching D1x from my list then. Might be D50 then or bring the film camera.

Thanks all!

10. I had a D1x for awhile when I wanted to play with a pro body. The feel was awesome but the results were less than stellar. The auto white balance was terrible. If you shoot raw it's not an issue but for what I do I don't like to do alot of post unless it's an image I really like. I would say the D50 and D70 are your best options... what body (i.e. what kind of memory) are you using now? I'd probably let that and price be your deciding factor between those two. I'd consider the D100 too but only if ou can get it for noticably less than the other two.

11. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    A preowned D70s would do a great job. I recently sold mine here for the low $400's. They are listed almost every week at the Cafe.

12. We do have electricity outside of the US you know. :tongue: :eek: :cool:

And the Nikon chargers are multi-voltage.

Ronnie

13. Just my opinion . . . I like the D50 or D70 in this case. Overall, both are very functional and usable cameras. Tremendous battery life (compared to D1-series), great image quality, compatiable with nearly any Nikon lens (unlike D40), light and compact (compared to D100 or D1-series), probably more reliable (because either would likely be newer than a D1 or D100), and easier to resell when your done (because the D50 and D70 are more mass market cameras than the D100, D1, or even D40 arguably). Even though you said you would not return it, after it sits in your closet for 6-months, I would think you would likely part with it.

14. Another vote for going either D50 or D70s. They are pretty hard to get new now, but you can get lucky if some store still has them. I just wish the D50 too CF cause it would be my backup (if I ever needed one).

15. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    Grab a D1H, stick it on B/W high contrast, attach a 35 f/2, and bring an extra battery. You won't regret it...I guarantee.

16. Marco

Marco

Sep 25, 2006
    Washington D.C.
    Thanks again, I'll probably end up going with a D50.

Definitely I'm sure it will come out with superb B&Ws, however, I need to shoot in color because the client needs it in color. :Wink:

17. I would go this way too.

18. One item to keep in mind, make sure both bodies use the same memory cards...CF vs SD.
    CF: D2x/h, D1x/h, D200, D100, D70(s)
    SD: D80, D50, D40(x)
    My 2 cetns...If you have a D80, get a D50, if you have a D200/D100/D70 get a D70.
    Cheers
    Jeffrey

19. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    i feel like i should tell you the D70/s at Ritz camera dropped down in price to $399 (new)... i think thats a very good option... i just about picked up one of the last two at the store yesterday but couldnt even afford that... hmpft..

-drew

20. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

they don't even show a d70s on their site...maybe this is a local store kinda thing?