Suggestions for "foggy" car shot @night?

Getting ready to do an experiment shooting my son's Hyundai Tiburon with his new HID headlight kit (graduation present) piercing through the night air. Going to try to create some fog using a propane powered bug fogger.

Do any of you have any suggestions for f-stops, shutter duration, or anything else before we get started? Plan to use my 12-24 f4 f2.8 on my D2x on tripod.

My best (bad) results :(

Not having a real clue as to how to do this right, we fired up the propane powered insect fogger, and put the cam on manual, and starting firing away. This is as close as we got to anything remotely acceptable, but not very close. The fog was either too thick or too thin. Had to really crank the the midtones in PS. Need more car detail. Shot with 12-24 f4. exif below

45117823.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Date/Time 20-Jun-2005 20:56:53
Make Nikon
Model NIKON D2X
Flash Used No
Focal Length 24 mm
Exposure Time 1/3 sec
Aperture f/7.1
ISO Equivalent 320
Exposure Bias -1/3
White Balance (-1)
Metering Mode center weighted (2)
JPEG Quality (6)
Exposure Program manual

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
Steve,
It seems that this is a perfect opportunity to work with the remote flash units (sb800/600)
I would place one behind the car allowing backlighting under and around(may take more than one. also i sould set one to lightly illumonate the veing side. leave everthing else like you got it.

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
dmwphoto said:
Steve,
It seems that this is a perfect opportunity to work with the remote flash units (sb800/600)
I would place one behind the car allowing backlighting under and around(may take more than one. also i sould set one to lightly illuminate the veiwng side. leave everthing else like you got it.

My mind is running wild this morning. Why not put your tripod in the front seat and stand in the back seat, have something in front of the car, like a sign or something else in the fog.

gho

Setup the shot in the early AM as dark skies brighten a bit to give you some ambient light.

Expose for the car, and only run the lights durning part of that exposure.

i.e., if you have a 60 second exposure try running the lights for 5 seconds or so. Ajust to suit your tastes.

I did a shot somewhat similar for Photography class at Ohio State:

Nikon FG
50mm f/1.8
Kodak Tri-X (from what I remember)

It was a really dark night. Setup the FG on a tripod in the front yard, at an angle facing where the street met the driveway (long, country type). I set camera for f/16 and used Bulb setting. My friend drove his car past the house twice and pulled in the driveway once.

Made for an interesting shot. If I can find the negative, I will scan and upload. Basically, all black with multiple streaks of white light.

Has to be pretty dark though for such a long exposure...

C

Hi Steve,
I'm sure I can help you out with this shoot (since shooting cars is how i pay my bills these days). Your set up looks OK but you need to get some light on the car. Dave and Gregory are right on the money with their tips. Basically you want:

At least two remote speedlights, one lighting the rear quarter panel forward and one postitioned low (and dialed waay down like 1/32 or lower) to provide some lighting for wth wheels (they look like shiny chrome ones).

Set up a long exposure like 10 secs or so and fire the flashes on the front curtain, this will expose for the car. At 8 or 9 secconds (closer to 9) fire up the head lights, this will created the "fog cutting" effect you are looking for. You'll have to play with the exposure length/timing of the headlights to get the effect right but this should get you started

I wish I could post an example for you, but the majority of my car shots are the property of their respective manufacturers.

K

kg74

This is where the Kodak ISO 6 rules. Sold my 14N, but I would light the car with remote flashes, maybe turn on the lights quickly while the shutter is open, and limit your shutter speed.

The fog moves - this complicates things when the shutter is open too long - like blurring water. Too much is not always best - maybe try bracketing or better yet try multple shots.

Move the flashes around, maybe a spot light which doesn't get hit by the fog unless you want a beam effect.

Hello All,

I agree try earlier at sunset, maybe use a neutral grad to darken the sky if it is too bright.

As nice as remote triggered speedlights are, you can get old school manual flashes and attach them to remote flash sensors to trigger for relatively cheap. Get the exposure right using your screen.

Maybe even a weak flash inside the car? or door light?

If you have a fast charging flash and you wear black, you could wander around the car and fire it off, playing about to ensure you don't appear as a ghost.

I think other tips have been covered already.

~Jerrold

Latest threads

Top Bottom