Suggestions for Grand Canyon Day Trip?

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by wbeem, Apr 9, 2007.

1. wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Hi there:

I'm hitting Vegas again at the end of the month and plan to take a helicopter tour out to the Grandest of Canyons. To be honest, it doesn't give much time on the ground - only 30 minutes. I presume most of my opportunities will be from the helicopter.

Has anyone else ever gone on one of these tours? Any suggestions for shooting from the helicopter? I'm not sure if I'll get glare or reflection from the glass. Any particular time of day (morning, noon, afternoon) better for capturing images? Would you shoot wide, mid-range, or telephoto?

Hmm, anyone recommend one tour operator over another?

Nov 29, 2006
    My wife and I took a helicopter tour in Hawaii and the brochure told us not to wear brightly colored shirts because you would see reflection on the inside of the canopy. I'm guessing a circular polarizer would help as well.
  3. wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Hmm, never would've thought of that. How fortunate that I'm a dull dresser, though.
  4. UncleLee

UncleLee Guest

For fine-art photographs of the Grand Canyon, I would strongly suggest the sunrise/sunset golden hours, a tripod, and the patience to wait for the light to come to you.

For aerial photographs of the canyon at any time of day, your fastest VR lenses wide open with as high a shutter speed as possible will be needed to kill the vibrations from the helicopter. JMHO.

5. wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Thanks, Lee.

I decided to skip the short helicopter trip from Las Vegas. After looking at a bunch of other folk's photos, I determined the following:

1: You're right, sunset/sunrise is the time to be there. Unfortunately, the flight doesn't give me that option and only 30 minutes on the ground.

2: During the day, the Western rim looks ugly to me.

3: Southern rim looked more interesting, and the GC probably deserves a couple of days instead of a short flight.
  6. I've never been there, but I would suggest spending as long as possible.

That way you can :
    • decide where the best photo location is going to be
    • be set up ready for the sunset
    • enjoy the experience

Apparently, its quite a big crack :biggrin: