Suggestions for Neoprene Camera Wrap?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by zenstate, Sep 18, 2008.

1. zenstate

zenstate

Jul 31, 2008
    Canada
    Hi All,

We are planning on a 3-4 month backpacking journey, where both my wife and I each will be carrying a 30-35 liter rucksack only. We hope to also bring a packable day bag that will be used on day excursions at whatever place we stop at.

My aim is to have minamalist camera protection that I can pack into a rucksack full of clothes, but can also put into this day bag when necessary for sightseeing.

This is why I'm thinking I'll only need some sort of soft shell protection for my D300 and 16-85VR. We're not bringing any other lenses, as I think that this combination should suffice for 95% of my photo needs.

I've searched in vain for some sort of neoprene sleeve or wrap (similar to what you can get for laptops) but with no luck. Is there anything out there that would work for me?

Thanks,
    -S

2. Sam,
    Sounds like quite the adventure!

I wouldn't worry too much.
    It sounds like you are concerned about the camera while it is in your pack. If this is indeed the case I'd suggest simply
    packing it in the midst of your clothing. You could wrap a hand towel around it for additional padding.
    I've traveled with gear packed this way and have never had a problem.
    While on your day treks just the towel in your day bag should be fine.
    A sheet of bubble wrap would also work well in place of the towel, but towels are so handy... I always
    have one with me.

If you think about it, all the neoprene would do is protect the camera from minor bumps that likely would only result
    in cosmetic damage. If the camera is dropped it probably isn't going to make a lot of difference.

Lastly, I'm hard pressed to imagine a cover like you're looking for really working out. There are so many buttons
    and knobs on the body that it would be very complex.

Don

3. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
  4. zenstate

zenstate

Jul 31, 2008
    Canada
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

Yes, I think you are right with packing it amongst my clothes, but I am thinking this might not work well when its in the day pack. Having it in a towel may make it cumbersome for quick usage, no?

Thanks for the links to the camera armor, but I think that may not be what I'm looking for. What does look interesting is the OpTec case - especially as it has the easy access system. Has anyone had any hands on experience with this?

Looking some more on the web, I found this:

http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?prod_code=PON06G000011&Prod_name=Nikon%20CF-D200%20case%20for%20D200/D300&CAT_CODE=17&SUBCAT_CODE=67

Which I think could also work. Hmm.....

Cheers,
    -S

5. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Sam,

I have the Op/Tec. It does provide some protective padding, but I've always found neoprene to be a bit of a pain for easy access. The leather Nikon case would be easier access, but I don't know if it provides much protection from bumps. If it were me, I'd probably go with the Nikon case with Don's towel approach. On looks, the Nikon case clearly wins.

6. Sam...
    I have quite a few tote type bags from Built NY that I use for lots of
    Photo type situations. I have the Gourmet Getaway

[​IMG]

which might fit your needs. They come in lots of colors, are soft neoprene and this particular bag has the zipper. Would work quite well to pad your
    camera and lens inside a backpack or such...
    http://www.builtny.com/index.php?pageID=1612

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.