Suggestions for quick/easy lighting setup.

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Jeff Mims, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    About 10 years ago, I was getting started in portrait photography. Kind of got sidetracked (was strictly weekend warrior), and stopped for awhile.
    Now I'm really getting back into photography, and portraiture.
    Back then I used a Novatron light kit, with one White Lightning 1200, Photoflex Softbox, and reflectors. Not a real complex lighting setup..but effective.
    It was quite a hassle to setup, and take down. Leaving it up..was not an option. I did not have room for a permanent studio setup in my home.
    Now, years later, that hasn't changed, and I'm also pursuing location portraiture.
    Can anyone recommend a good portable light setup? I already have an SB800, and have toyed with the idea of multiple SBs. That would certainly be portable, but would it be powerful enough? Is there a good kit (such as, but not limited to Novatron) or the like, that someone could recommend?
    Thanks folks.

-Jeff

2. marc

marc Guest

you should take a look at what nikon has done with it's CLS system

now that you can control sb800's 600's remotely
    this is probably a great way to do portraits

no wires, flexible, can accept modifiers etc.

marc

3. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Marc that's a good idea. I'll check out Nikons CLS system.

Thanks

4. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Rex,
    Thanks..I'll check out the thread.

BTW, see any ducks the other day?
    Bring any home?:smile:

6. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Slow morning. Never fired a shot. But thats why they call it duck hunting and not duck shooting.