Suggestions for shoulder bag

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Jeff Mims, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I'd like something to carry my stuff, or do you recommend just using two bags as I am at the present? Stuff listed in signature.
    Thanks.

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Jeff, I'm not sure if you would consider a shoulder sling bag, but I use a Tamrac Velocity 9. It carries my D2H with the 70-200mm F/2.8 VR together, plus my 28-70 mm f/2.8 on one side and SB800 on the other. It has a zippered pocket where I carry batteries, lens tissues, a plastic bag (in case of bad weather), Expodisk and other odds and ends. I attach a small zippered bag to an outside D ring where I carry a spare battery for my camera and plenty of CF cards. I find it to be a very spacious and comfortable bag. I think the bag costs around $70.00. If you want to carry all of your equipment at once...maybe a backpack of some sort?!?!?

3. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    My favorite bag for walking the streets is also the Velocity 9. Can't beat it for convenient access. I wear the PortaBrace Hip bag for Canon GL2 video simultaneously - a horizontal waistbag which can be worn on your backside. The Velocity 7 is the same material, and same color, and sits on top of the PortaBrace. Either can be flipped around for instant access...

4. The most sold shoulder bag from Lowepro is the Magnum AW, it's very well made with a lot of room for all your equiqment.

5. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Jeff
    I have a Lowepro Mini trekker backpack. But it was to small after I got the D2X and a couple of larger lenes. I got the Lowepro Stealth Reporter 500AW. I like it because it has a zipper on the top for easy access to the camera. I have about outgrown it. So I have added some of the slip-lock accessories that will also work with the belt and vest system. I don't know if the is a perfect bag or not. Check out the site linked below. It has some interesting information.
    http://www.cambags.com/index.htm

6. I like using a backpack like those made by LowePro and also Kata. I also use smaller Tamrac camera bads to offload a camera and lens etc. To make my selection of bag(s) I carry my equipment into a camera store and find the best combo by trial and error. This has worked best for me, because every situation is a little different.

7. marc

marc Guest

google domke, they are really good bags

i have three different domke bags, they are well padded, sectioned and hold alot of stuff.

come in many flavors
    take a look

marc

8. Consider Think Tank system

I have the ThinkTankPhoto 6-piece modulus system....thank goodness!

It saved my shoulder just yesterday evening.

I had a job at a luxurious hotel (lots of young ladies partying...difficult job, but somebody HAS to do it :tongue: )

....& got stuck in a traffic jam. After spending 31 minutes to cover a bit more than half a kilometre I decided to park my vehicle & walk it.

I took with me:
    • Nikkor AiS 75-150mm
    • Nikkor AiS 28mmf2
    • Gary Fong LS2 with dome
    • Lastolite EZbalance
    • Nikon SB800,
    • 5 sets of AA batteries;
    • 2 extra CR123a batteries in their carton
    • 4 extra CF cards in the tiny Pixel Pocket rocket (can take 10)
    • & my Fuji S2pro with 18-70mm lens off my shoulder, with lens half tucked in a lens pouch on the 28mmf2

I had to walk around 20-25 minutes through a crowded nightspot, full of people & nightclubs, pushing my way through people.

I always felt my gear was tightly strapped & secure....& I felt light.

I kept the system on me all night long, as I was moving around & changing gear & CF all the time.

A shoulder bag (I own three) would have felt like lead weights....I barely noticed the weight of my gear, as it was distributed around my waist.

Thank goodness for the ThinkTank.

Check it out: www.thinktankphoto.com

regards,
    C_M

9. nfoto

nfoto Guest

A well-worn Domke bag is the best if you really want a shoulder bag.They are very well made and versatile. Eventually, the canvas material will be so worn that items start falling out of the bag. When lenses slip through, it's time to purchase a new one :biggrin: This happened to me after using my Domke for 35 years. Bought a new one and still use the old one for big lenses.

Nobody believes this small canvas bag can hold photo gear worth a fortune, so you can travel unnoticed and safely with it as well.

10. markccm

markccm

Dec 13, 2005
    Singapore
    i am using a Tenba D15.

The shoulder pad is suberb.

11. Jeff,

Although it is not really a shoulder bag per say, the LowePro Slingshot 200AW is a pretty handy bag. I used it recently during a trip to Rome and had the following in it:

F4 w/ 35mm attached
    FM2n w/ 50mm attached
    24mm
    75-150mm
    SB28 + other nick-nicks

There is a picture of one on the B&H website. Do a search on the site and type in LowePro Slingshot. It is quite comfortable and when not in use carries like a back pack and when you want something out of it opens like a shoulder bag. I hope this helps out some.

God Bless,
    David

12. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I personally like Tamrac bags the best, I have 2, Cyberpack 6 which is a backpack and old everything including my PowerBook, the downside is very heavy.
    I also have a Tamrac System 3 bag which is good for 1 body with a couple extra things in the bag.

The Domke bag that Bjørn mentioned are great also... In fact I have thought about looking for a good deal on a used one a few times...

13. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone...so many good choices. Thank God for Google!:smile:

I don't know about a Domke bag...if they last only 35 years....:biggrin:

14. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  15. I use a Newswear Chest vest to carry my gear in !

Thanks,

Paul

16. Kata 103 backpack - holds a laptop as well. The Kata 102 is the same bag without the laptop section.

Very nice bags with a quick access opening to let you grab a camera with ease. Has a tripod strap and cup which can be mouted on the back or to the side. Also comes with a waterproof cover.

I've been using a 103 when on my motorbike for the daily commute for 6 months now. Very comfortable.

http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pid=275&cid=28&perentId=4&ProdLine=4

17. May I suggest something different ...

Belt Packs. I ditched the shoulder bag years ago and have never looked back. IMNSHO you can't do better than Kenesis for belt systems, but LowPro and other produce good ones too.
    http://www.kinesisgear.com/systemintro.html

This is pretty much my main system. If I know I'm not going to need a long lens I remove that pouch.

[​IMG]

I use a Lowepro trecker to haul my gear, I've been using a Mini-Trekker AW which holds any body (pro body is a bit snug, but works fine), 70-200, 3-4 other lenses, flash and other goodies. I've recently gotten a larger AW version to accomidate my 300/2.8 for travel.

Don

18. MelanieC

MelanieC Guest

I'm in the process of getting a D70s with the two-lens kit. Since my budget is tight I anticipate this being my entire kit for some time. I have a Timbuk2 messenger bag and would like to use this to carry my gear. Is there any reason why I can't just put a soft laptop sleeve in the messenger bag, and maybe put the extra lens in its own case, and carry things this way? Will that be enough protection?

I'm moving up from a Coolpix that I just kept in a soft case and threw into whatever bag I was carrying, so I am a complete novice.

Thanks, M

19. I'm a fan of Domke, too! My favorite Bag is my F2, most versatile and definitely Low Profile. :wink:

BTW:
    Do you know a decent Euopean Distributor!

I'm trying to find a reasonable way of getting some additional Domke-Stuff: Inserts, the Backpack-style strap, Postman-Shoulderpad. (And till now, only found some US-Shops, charging a fortune for shipping to Germany :mad: )