Suggestions on lenses - help.........

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Keith, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Spring must be coming, I have the 24-85mm G lens F3.5, for the money very happy with it and the 12-24mm DX lens (basically brand new) and considering selling both. Based on my photography style, I really dont need that wide angle, so considering the Nikon 17-55mm DX or the Nikon 28-70mm .............favouring the 17-55mm to give me a little wider if want to do the odd landscape etc.......... thoughts........... [/b]

2. I love the 17-55mm and use it all the time for portraits, landscape, and architecture. Great lens.

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Keith...

The 17055 is a well lense...as long as you don't shoot subjects such as sunrises / sunsets cause it flares pretty badly from what I've seen. The 17-35 is about as close to flare resisitnt as they come if you need a wide.

the 28-70 is a great lens....focuses incredibly fast andit's sharper than a 24-85 AFG across the board, yet not as shrp as many primes...but what zoom is? If that fits the bill for your shooting syle and you can afford the sucker (I just sold mine)...and you can carry it cause it's rather hefty...get it! The 17-55 is substantailly lighter....about the same money...it just flares which would mess me up personally as I like early and late sun shots.

Jim

4. Good morning Keith....
    Hope all is well in EDM.
    I also have the 24-85 AFS and like the lens but sure wish I could find something faster in that same zoom range. As for wider.... I have the 17-35 and think very highly about this lens.
    I'm not sure if any of this helps but what the heck.

5. thanks for the input...........

Nothing spending a few dollars doesnt fix............LOL

6. Hi Doug............

Life the past couple of weeks pretty good, allot of snow has melted and relatively nice weather , so life is good! Im thinkin of keeping the 12-24DX now, sell the 24-85G and leaning now towards the 28-70mm f2.8 for more speed and sharpness, this will not compliment my 70-200mm VR as well and have wide angle up to 200mm covered............just listed my 300mm f4 af-s for sale on the for sale forum and will look at moving up to the 500mm f4 af-s.........then Im done for a while...........well that aint true, want the 85mm f1.4 then the alien bees, then done for a while........ :wink:

7. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I have an 85 1.4 I'll sell

Keith...

Since you're a Canadian friend to the north and since I sooooo enjoyed your snowy owl pic, I'll give you a deal on my lense.....$5500.00 US funds.

Shall I send it today? (How much was that 600?)

Jim

8. Hi Keith,

I think this one would definitely help you out;-)

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/telephotos/1200mm.htm

Seriously both 12-24 and 28-70 are excellent lenses. 17-55 still leaves you some gap: 56-69mm. Just my 0.02.