Suicide....err Scissor Doors

I have never seen a truck with suicide....err scissor doors. Guess if I went to a truck show I would see many. This is one I found in the parking lot of The Ted before Saturday's Braves-Mets game.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Those are not suicide doors. Suicide doors open into the wind, so that when you are moving, if you open the door, the windstream pulls it open violently pulling you from the vehicle. Many cars of old had them, mostly on the rear door sets. Lincolns were some of the last to phase them out. My Mother was ejected from a car when young in just this manner.

Baywing said:
Those are not suicide doors. Suicide doors open into the wind, so that when you are moving, if you open the door, the windstream pulls it open violently pulling you from the vehicle. Many cars of old had them, mostly on the rear door sets. Lincolns were some of the last to phase them out. My Mother was ejected from a car when young in just this manner.
Yup! That's what we called them back in Chicago. Our younger folks should understand that until the later 60's only sissies wore seat belts...and there weren't seat belts at all until the late fifties...as I recall. In addition all the radios and controls had big hard knobs and the dashes were steel. Hmm....I wonder if that's why so many people died in cars back then? :roll:

Rich

Nice photo :) I don't know why you would want to do that to a truck though :?
Here is an example of suicide doors that I took at a car show last fall;

fks

hi gordon-

actually the 300sl had what are called "gullwing" doors (and the car was also called the gullwing coupe), which are doors that swing up from the roof. i don't have a photo of a gullwing, but the new benz slr is a variation on this theme

swing doors are a trend with the import car scene in the last couple of years.
]

the hardware to change your doors is available on ebay in case anyone is interested in doing this to to your car :)

ricky

greyflash said:
The older Mercedes 300SL had this type of door and I loved it. I got to ride in one when I was in Germany. Pretty nifty.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom