Suicide....err Scissor Doors

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by PhotoDawg, Apr 10, 2005.

1. I have never seen a truck with suicide....err scissor doors. Guess if I went to a truck show I would see many. This is one I found in the parking lot of The Ted before Saturday's Braves-Mets game.

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Good shot.

Never even heard of those never mind seeing one.

Thanks for sharing.

3. Agree.

Me neither.

Bryan - what are they, exactly?

Agree again.

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Those are not suicide doors. Suicide doors open into the wind, so that when you are moving, if you open the door, the windstream pulls it open violently pulling you from the vehicle. Many cars of old had them, mostly on the rear door sets. Lincolns were some of the last to phase them out. My Mother was ejected from a car when young in just this manner.

5. Yup! That's what we called them back in Chicago. Our younger folks should understand that until the later 60's only sissies wore seat belts...and there weren't seat belts at all until the late fifties...as I recall. In addition all the radios and controls had big hard knobs and the dashes were steel. Hmm....I wonder if that's why so many people died in cars back then? :roll:

Rich

6. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Not suicide doors, but scissor doors ala various Lamboghinis. Nice shot though Bryan. :)

Neil

7. The older Mercedes 300SL had this type of door and I loved it. I got to ride in one when I was in Germany. Pretty nifty.

8. Thanks for the clarification Neil. Tells you how much I know about cars.......err I mean trucks. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. Ahhh, the famous guillotine doors :lol: . Looks scary.
    Nice shot - never saw them on this type of car before.

10. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Nice photo :) I don't know why you would want to do that to a truck though :?
    Here is an example of suicide doors that I took at a car show last fall;
    original.

11. Nice shot Dave. It's amazing how much time and effort goes into restoring a vehicle like that.....let alone customizing one. :) :) :)

12. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi gordon-

actually the 300sl had what are called "gullwing" doors (and the car was also called the gullwing coupe), which are doors that swing up from the roof. i don't have a photo of a gullwing, but the new benz slr is a variation on this theme
    [​IMG]

swing doors are a trend with the import car scene in the last couple of years.
    ][​IMG]

the hardware to change your doors is available on ebay in case anyone is interested in doing this to to your car :)

ricky