Summer Basketball

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by niknd501, Jul 5, 2008.

1. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Was the site photographer for a summer basketball tournament last weekend.
    Thought I would post a couple since I have not really contributed anything
    for a while. .. Nothing real special but overall I was pleased for the lighting I
    had to deal with. Shot mostly with my D50 and some fill flash from a sb-600.
    Kinda leaning toward some strobes for this coming winter season. We'll see.

322883607_yxTk2-L.

322402549_SVtQ8-L.

322259237_wLvuo-L-1.

And a poster I am working on for the tournament director. ( her daughter )

323187458_JjLDe-L.

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Very well done Rod, you managed the lighting real well. I like the poster too, it should be very well received.

3. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    For on-camera flash that's pretty good there Rod. If you decide to go with strobes this winter, you may want to consider a couple of Dynalite Uni400s. I picked up a couple late in the season and they put out a lot more power than I anticipated and they will run not just on AC but battery packs as well (Jackrabbits).

I purchased them to leave at a gym for the entire season. Set them up in the ceilings at full power since they are only 400 w/s, but wished I only had them at half power. At that point it was too late. The maintenance guys had already taken the ladder away so I could not go back up.

When I am feeling real lazy, I am going to pack the Uni400s plus a Jackrabbit for each head so I am not going o need to run cords around. Everything will fit in one duffel. Great on-location set up too. You can stick a couple of umbrellas in your duffell and you can shoot basketball or portraits.

4. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    btw, nice poster but I think you may want to try to either blur the basketball a bit or lower the opacity. It pulls your attention away too much from your main subjects, IMO.

5. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing! Making good use of the D50s 1/500 sync, eh?

Nice.

6. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Thank you Frank. It was the first time I had tried to get photos in our fieldhouse. It was a challenge for sure.

You are exaactly right Alex. Didn't even think of that when I did this. It was a quick thing I put together. I will change it if she orders one.

Thanks for the info on the strobes.

Yea I like the 1/500 sync...:biggrin:

7. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    What were your flash settings? Exp comp dialed down a bit? Direct, not bounced, right?

Got any more pics to share? I'm intrigued since my D1H will also sync at 1/500.

8. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois

Set to manual mode at about 1/16 power and then varied from there.
    Direct - not bounced

322883817_GzMYV-L.

322315328_MCZfH-L.

No flash on this and also taken with D200. This gym has much better lighting
    but this would be the gym I would strobe ( if I decided to jump )
    322259034_iLARz-L-1.

9. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    Thanks for the additional photos, Rod.

Very nicely done. It appears that was just enough flash to clean it up a bit and yet have no shadows. Good stuff.

10. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Agreed. They don't look like flash photos at all. Well done, Rod.

11. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois

Thanks Dennis.

Thanks Jim. I am still not realy happy with the outcome, hence the desire for some strobes. These images look ok here but would not look as nice in
    large print.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.