Summer Color in the Colorado Rockies

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by JeffKohn, Sep 5, 2008.

1. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Finally finished editing the color landscape images from our Colorado vacation to the Ouray/Silverton area. Some of these proved frustrating to edit, I had a hard time getting the image I had visualized when shooting in some cases; so I'm curious what others will think.

The full gallery (12 images) is here. I've posted a few of my favorites and a few I'm not so sure about below (not telling which are which for now though :smile: ). Click on any image for gallery page with EXIF/lens info.

C/C always welcome.

Red Mountains Reflection on Crystal Lake
    original.jpg

Below Yankee Boy Basin
    original.jpg

East Fork Dallas Creek
    (Pano, click on image or here for larger version)
    large.gif

Purple Twilight on Mount Sneffels
    (Pano, click on image or here for larger version)
    large.jpg

Cascade and Wildflowers, Sneffels Creek
    original.jpg

Lower Blue Lake Basin
    original.jpg

2. This is a fabulous and stunning series! Thanks for sharing. Love them all and not sure why you were disappointed in your processing and final results.

3. Those are awesome!! Postcard worthy for sure!

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks Anthony and Kim, I appreciate the comments.

5. incredible, jeff
    i rode 2,000 miles on my motorcycle in colorado a couple summers ago....
    my mouth was wide open the whole time in utter amazement of the gorgeous surroudings
    what a beautiful place

thanks so much for sharing these wonderful shots with us

6. Jeff,

Went to your site and there isn't one there that I wouldn't be proud to call my own. Really nice shots.

7. beautiful. all of them.

8. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Jeff, each shot standing on it's own is a great shot. The first one, however, is inspired. It's my goal to take a shot that interesting and well composed.
    Mike

9. These are excellent. I really like how you incorporated the foreground elements into 1,2 and 5. Great shots!!

10. Debbi

Debbi Guest

Beautiful work as always, Jeff!

11. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    The first is my favorite, simply amazing!

Is it an HDR?

12. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Greg - Thanks. I bet that was a great road trip, although with your mouth hanging wide open I hope you had a windshield to stop the bugs. :biggrin:

Norm, Greg - thanks for the kind words.

Mike - Thanks. First one is probably my favorite as well, that was the clearest, most amazing lake reflection I've ever seen.

Mitch - Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it.

Debbi - Thanks!

Leo - Thank you. First shot is not tone-mapped HDR, but I did manually combine two exposures using layers in Photoshop.

13. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    I really liked 1 & 5. In both these images the observers eye is drawn in and led along the lines, especially #5 where the composition is just superb. Absolute postcard quality.

14. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

All are very cool, I'd be happy if I'd taken any of them :smile:

Can I ask, how to you achieve front to back sharpness in your work ?
    Small aperture or blending 2 exposures together, if 2 exp's what software do you use (or recommend) ?

Thanks

15. MRIMATT63

MRIMATT63

Jan 27, 2008
    Allen, TX
    The Purple Twilight photo is outstanding ! Thanks for sharing these captures.

Matt.

16. yeah...
    it was on my BMW touring bike...
    a nice windshield...
    thanks for thinking of me :smile:

17. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Beautiful images. They remind me in many ways of some of Elliot Porters work. (He's one of my favorites.)

18. Beautiful!! Lovely scenes...

19. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Jeff,

Not to much jumps out to my eye, I like all the images you posted, however, the first image is probably the one that gives me the most pause, but it could be because I tend to shoot scapes with a polarizer so I like a bit darker blue skies in the light like you have.

Here I only darkened up the blue in the skies a touch more in NX with a color control point. I like the extra definition in the clouds and contrast it creates with the clouds.

Just another thought,

orig:
    original.jpg

[​IMG]