Summer festival: What would you bring if you had my gear?

I'm a perpetual beginner who has been blessed with the opportunity to bring a DSLR into a daytime festival/concert setting this coming weekend. Plenty of opportunities for crowd/candid shots, as well as the bands and food. I'm not sure what to bring, and am looking for advice. Most of my experience is with close-up/macro and non-human subjects.

Bag: Lowepro Slingshot 200 which will carry 1 body and up to 3 (maybe 4) lenses comfortably, so I guess a good place to start is that it has to fit in here.

Bodies: I have a D40 with KatzEye with decent battery life, and a D200 with a dying battery and an aftermarket grip that will take endless AA batteries. Never ever shot with the grip before. I'm only willing to carry one, no matter how much I'd like to have access to both. :)

Zoom lenses: 18-55 and 55-200 variable aperture (both AF-S, which will autofocus on both bodies).

Primes: 50/1.8, 105/2.8 Micro, and 180/2.8 (all AF, which I know will only autofocus on the D200, but the KatzEye makes it relatively easier on the D40).

It is a daytime fest, so light should be plentiful for the most part (there's one tent that will be darker and less crowded). As I want to dip my toe into some candid people shots, I'm leaning toward autofocus and longer focal lengths, whether it be through AF-S on my D40, or fast primes on the D200. I'm leaning toward traveling light, which favors the D40 and slow zooms, but am also considering picking up a new battery locally for the D200 to take advantage of the background-melting fast primes without having to bring the (huge) grip.

Any non-gear related tips you feel like sharing on general approach in this kind of situation would be most welcome too. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I agree with this.

Except, I'd probably bring my 35 instead of 18-55. Partly because I don't have one, and also because I love shooting with a 35.

Edit: To add, in your case, since it's an outdoor festival, the 50/1.8 will do great. It'll have that extra reach while still looking normal-ish.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be a bit different here......I would take the 105 micro over the 180......seems when I do festivals I find things I want really close up shots of.....so it would have to be the 18-55 kit the 105 micro (for reason stated above) and I would rent a 70-200f2.8......

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom