Summer Olympics Withdrawal: Will YOU Have It?

as a follow up to my question from 2 weeks ago about "how much of the olympics will you watch?"

i'm wondering who'll be going through withdrawal symptoms in a few hours?
i know I will

i know I will

Greg :

Not a bit, not a whit.

The Olympics long ago ceased to be about sportsmanship, but far more showmanship. The drugs, the professional athletes' admission to competition, the cheating, and the pure lack of sports ethics, such as the tae-kwan-do incident today with kicking a referee in the face have all rendered the Olympics a non-event for me.

The only events I've seen were by accident switching channels.

John P.

john....
you think that michael phelps was all about "showmanship?"

as for the "incident" today
it was regrettable... but, that sort of thing could happen anywhere, at any time

As a follow up to my post in your previous thread; the Olympics are still on???

Honestly I gave up watching the Olympics years ago. There is no honor, everything is a scandel, etc etc.

I know I certainly will Greg. These past two weeks have given me an opportunity to watch something really entertaining as opposed to the usual pedestrian stuff (IMO) being dished out in the name of entertainment. For that reason all we watch is Nat Geo, Discovery, Animal Planet and Comedy Central (which we turn off after John Stewart). We do not watch the news channels because they are all skewed and do not have any 'news' as such anyway. We used to stay up late for Johnny Carson but not anymore for the current lot of late night talk show hosts.

you think that michael phelps was all about "showmanship?"

as for the "incident" today
it was regrettable... but, that sort of thing could happen anywhere, at any time

Greg :

Phelps did an amazing thing. But. The unrelenting emphasis on Phelps to the detriment of other worthy athletes was a pure showmanship decision, and I don't believe it reflects well on the Olympic spirit. Today's incident is simply one of a number in this Olympics, which further reflects poorly on the spirit of the games.

And that's all that I'll say on this topic now or in the future, as it could easily become a debate that reflects poorly on the Café, something that I won't participate in either as an observer or a participant.

John P.

I

iLLMaCK

Since I was only interested in Phelps, I won't miss it.
I'd watch more if the MLB players actually played.

I

iLLMaCK

Greg :

Phelps did an amazing thing. But. The unrelenting emphasis on Phelps to the detriment of other worthy athletes was a pure showmanship decision, and I don't believe it reflects well on the Olympic spirit. Today's incident is simply one of a number in this Olympics, which further reflects poorly on the spirit of the games.

And that's all that I'll say on this topic now or in the future, as it could easily become a debate that reflects poorly on the Café, something that I won't participate in either as an observer or a participant.

John P.

So, you think Phelps was showing everyone up by winning 8 gold medals?

as a follow up to my question from 2 weeks ago about "how much of the olympics will you watch?"

i know I will

Hey Greg -

I watched a few of Mr. Phelps' races (despite those being aired "well past my bedtime" - lol), and took in several less-publicized sports with my coffee early in the a.m. on some of the NBC-aligned channels. I didn't see much of the track and field events that I enjoy - although I did see Mr. Bolt's amazing individual sprints.

The opening ceremony was unforgettable, despite NBC's too-frequent commercial breaks.

In general, I prefer the winter games, but I appreciate the competition and the spectacle of any Olympic Games . . .

Eric

there is still more tonight

at midnight... EDT.... the USA men's volleyball team vs. Brazil
and.... at 0230 EDT.... the USA men's basketball team vs. Spain

Nope. After gymnastics and vball there's nothing left for me in my casual night time network viewing of it. Did not care for Bolts showboating at all. I think maybe he's watching too much pro football.
Ad agencies must be overjoyed that Shawn ended up with a gold. Certainly more marketable than her teammate.

The thing I missed was what will probably be the grandest opening ever. Saw small bits and almost considered ordering the dvd. Almost

glenn

I will definitely miss it!! I've greatly enjoyed watching, the talent these athletes display just amazes me. Having played sports almost all my school-life, and staying active post-college (softball, half marathons).......I really appreciate all the prep that they have put forth over years and years.

My hat is off to those who worked so hard to get to the Olympics, and to compete. Congrats!!!!

J

jaymc

I look forward to the basketball game but was put off by many sour points to this Olympics ... the under-aged gymnasts, the obvious scoring preference to the Chinese, the incident with the Greek wrestler, etc....

:Angry:

Nope. After gymnastics and vball there's nothing left for me in my casual night time network viewing of it. Did not care for Bolts showboating at all. I think maybe he's watching too much pro football.
Ad agencies must be overjoyed that Shawn ended up with a gold. Certainly more marketable than her teammate.

The thing I missed was what will probably be the grandest opening ever. Saw small bits and almost considered ordering the dvd. Almost

glenn

but..... volleyball isn't over
the men's final starts in 36 mins

Latest threads

Top Bottom