Sun filter??

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by AISBLE, Jun 1, 2007.

1. AISBLE

AISBLE

Nov 29, 2006
    RI
    I'm not sure if anyting like this even exists for a camera lens but I'm looking for any information on a filter I can put on a lens and view/take pictures of the sun without burning out my eyes or the camera's sensor. I know there are telescopes dedicated to this and I believe you can buy filters for a telescope but I haven't been able to find anything on filters for a camera lens.

Anybody have any ideas?

2. Keis

Keis

Jan 13, 2006
    Fort Collin, CO
    Sun filter

Telescopes us H alpha filters. They run...never mind...way more money they your house. These are narrow band filters that let the hydrogen light from the sun's photosphere to get through and all the other light to be rejected. That's why they allow you to see photospheric features like prominances, flares and plauges. But for us mear mortals I'd look in Astronomy magazine. They have broadband filters that are nothing more then super neutral density filters and some can be threaded on to a camera lens. Always check these filters by holding them up to the sun and looking through them. Exposed mylar film is used by many people to view solar eclipses and that would work also.

If you get one of these for a telephoto lens don't expect to see much. All you will see are sun spots. A cheaper way is to use a small telescope and project the sun's image onto a white cardboard.

Google sun viewing and you should get lots of ideas.

3. AISBLE

AISBLE

Nov 29, 2006
    RI
    Thanks for the info Ken.

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Edmund Scientific used to have all sorts of neat things. They may still be around.....

5. JFleming

JFleming Guest

6. AISBLE

AISBLE

Nov 29, 2006
    RI
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.