Sunday AM Purple Martins

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jfenton, Jun 12, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    First...a few things:

A) I apologize for the white background...it was so hazy that it pretty much looked like this and in order to open up the detail on the birds and not get a ton of noise at ISO 500 I had to up the EV... TThey are still a bit noisy but if I'd upped the ERV anymore, I wouldn't have had sufficient shuttr speed...it was marginal even at 1/1250! These were shot with the D2X~500 AFS and no TC.

B) I am hooked on shooting these beautiful little birds and can't wait to have a sunny, blue sky day in order to shoot these at a reasonable ISO and have a blue background!

C) I tried to concentrate on the males but there certainly aren't as many of them as females. Maybe the guys have more than one girlfriend?

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    You've got some impressive shots there Jim.

Now you know how we felt at Merritt last week. Lots of white sky backgrounds trying to properly expose the birds. :?

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Frank

There is nothing worse than a bright white background and a dark bodied subject. I finally threw in the towel...opted not to use NR and live with a bit of noise in the dark regions.

4. Jim these are great and I CANT WAIT till you get the light that suits you. incredible work. I need to get out and try this now. Dont hold your breath waiting for my results LOL

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Dunno how you even do it

I've tried to capture some on my pond, and just cannot folllow thier acrobatics! Good job on a VERY tough subject!