1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sunflower detail

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by califlefty, Aug 4, 2009.

1. califlefty

califlefty

Apr 7, 2006
    Playing with macros, comments appreciated!

20090804033-036copy.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D90/Nikkor 80-200 4.5/T4

2. Very nice detail.

3. Ryan Bradford

Ryan Bradford

Jul 14, 2009
    Rochester
    great detail!

4. Guest-004

Guest-004 Guest

Mar 11, 2008
    SE Pennsylvania
    Very nice! I did not realize sunflowers had details like that. Is your image mirrored a bit to the right side?

5. califlefty

califlefty

Apr 7, 2006
    At first I didn't know what you mean by "mirrored" but I now see that in fact the far right side of the image has somehow duplicated in reverse. I can only assume that when I created the composite I didn't do it correctly and the software did something weird. A simple crop will fix the problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2009
  6. Very nice and I like the crop, Brilliant yellow!

7. Wonderful photo!

Did you use extension tubes or anything to get this magnification?

How do you get this much dof with 4.5? I am playing around with macros but really can't get as much in focus as you have here! HELP!

8. califlefty

califlefty

Apr 7, 2006
    This was shot with an old beat-up Nikkor 80-200 f4.5 AIS push pull lens and an 4T diopter. Manual focus, trial by error exposure on my D90. Biggest problem was waiting for any slight breeze. Heavy tripod and remote shutter release, mirror delay. Total investment in optics, around $70.00.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.