Sunny day pics on a cloudy day???

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Philinnz, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Does anyone know a good PS action for turning a cloudy scene into a sunlit scene. In particular I do quite a lot of real estate photography and a home photographed on a sunny day is simply so much more cheerful than when shot on a cloudy day. Altering the white balance setting on the camera helps a little but not enough.

Speed of use is a key element with this, something that takes less than about 2 minutes per shot.

Thanks if anyone can help

2. Aside from WB you can boost saturation and as well as increase the brightness. If you shoot RAW drop the exposure just a bit and crank the brightness it will brighten the image and yet somehow it preserves the highlights. In addition you can clone in a new sky. Good luck.

3. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Phil

Hi Phil

Funnily enough I enjoy taking shots on poor days and transforming.

I deliberately go OTT with the transformation (just enjoy doing so) but what you want is achievable in many ways.

The example below took more than 2 minutes but you could soon creat a very simple action/workflow to do most of what you want.

I think the key is replacing the sky.

However, if the followijg are anything like what you want would be happy to share ideas and come up with something that may help.

As I said, I go OTT with this type of thing and whilst not to everyone's taste it shows what could be done if needed.

All the best

Ray

Original

[​IMG]

processed

[​IMG]

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    That is way cool Ray. Care to give us a few details? :smile:

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
  6. Matt, thanks for your thoughts, we do that (apart from shooting raw - usually jpg M and fine is enough for purpose) and certainly I have a range of blue skies I can drop in

Ray, your work is impressive - now if we could do all that in two minutes...I agree about the sky of course. With the type of actions, we still need it to look 100% natural otherwise we can get the realtors in trouble for false advertising

7. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Workflow, thanks.and a kitchen!

Hi,

First to thank those who posted re my work for their kind comments...apreciated.

Sorry why it does not show for gale but Image Shack were having problems....seems ok now though.

Flew asked for some details. It is a while since I did the shot but I think was as follows.

As always duplicated image to new layer.

Then carried out my routine of making adjustment layers for levels, surves, saturation, contrast etc, adjusting each part to taste.

The set about with PWL.

Then I used new layers, set to colour mode to colour in parts I wanted.

Then I used Ruseell Browns advanced masking to put in a new sky.

Duplicated the sky and flipped it and pulled it down over the water to get the reflection...adjusted opacity.

Inserted so new boats.

Probably made some more adjustments but can notremeber at this point as done 6 weeks ago.

However, hope that the above helps a little.

Back to the original question of Phillinz; is this type of processing any help for interiors. It is "illustrated" look and quite dramatic.

Original

[​IMG]

Processed

[​IMG]

Just a thought and hope it contributes a little and is helpful.

Very best wishes

Ray

8. Ray.... these are just too cool :smile:

9. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Mike

Just glad you like them!!

All the best

Ray

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Good Ray,
    Have seen these before, however still enjoy seeing them again and wondering. OMG how...lol Just have to see it in you mind and then create.

I do see the image now.

11. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Ray,impressive shots.

12. Phil, I agree that you need to keep the image natural and this is not hard to do. First of all if you start with a decent exposure you can then increase the color saturation some. Next click on Brightness/Contrast and increase the contrast to 8 or so and then Increase the brightness until the image looks good to the eye. Sharpen and call it a day.

If you have an image you would like to PM me I will be glad to work my under 2 min. magic and send it back to you with the settings I used.

13. I'd highly suggest Nik ColourFX Pro Sunshine filter..... adds a natural light to the shot... when I get a few mins, I'll post some before and afters..

14. Thanks all for offering ideas here, I certainly appreciate your thoughts.

Ray, once again very impressive work and I like your kitchen

Gordan, yes that is the sort of thing we do and is certainly cost effective and quick but sometimes I would like just a little more.

Sandi, thanks for that suggestion, I cruised over to Nik's site and that certainly is what I am looking for and I will probably invest in it. Just wish they would allow you to buy just one filter and not the whole suite because i would not use the rest of them.

Perhaps someone else knows a similar action to the Nik sunshine filter?

15. Philinnz, Can you post a photo taken on a cloudy day? I'll try to make it sunny and give the steps I took. What software do you use?
    Greg

16. Thanks Greg - I mainly use PSCS2

Here is a pic that might be a challenge - I would certainly be interested in what anyone can come up with

[​IMG]

17. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Blue sky and sunny house

Rushing to work - took 4-5 minutes.

Sky and garden retouch

All the best

Ray Not sure if this is what you are looking for
    Ray[​IMG]

18. Phil, Here's what I came up with. If you like it, let me know and I'll post the steps taken.
    Greg

[​IMG]

19. maybe a little more contrast
    Greg

[​IMG]

20. Ray I like the bright sun spots on the gargen, how did you do that?
    Greg