Sunny garage morning with Samantha

Discussion in 'People' started by Mitchell, Aug 24, 2008.

1. I did a little better today with Samantha in the garage. She wasn't too interested in having her photo taken, but the lighting was a little better and my wife's car was out of the garage!:rolleyes:

No time for a reflector. Just the D2Xs and the beast handheld.

357924761_sz4j4-XL.jpg

357924899_qk7ZT-XL.jpg

2. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    Mitch,

Excellent! #1 is Great; #2 is fantastic as the natural light is flowing across her whole face.
    If you have a pool, have you tried shooting her with your back to the pool. Really sheds great light and best on overcast day! Sam is certainly growing fast and remains adorable:smile:

3. Trish,
    Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment.

I do have a pool, and your thoughts are interesting. I've been frustrated with portraits around my pool because I find the pool enclosure so distracting. Even when I shoot wide open, the white aluminum beams tend to ruin my backgrounds.

4. love the second one

5. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Just lovely... I'm so jealous of your garage Mitch. lol

6. great shots of sam, mitch
    #2 is my favorite, as well

funny about "the car being out of the garage."

7. Pretty photos, awesome lighting. The beast and D2X is a great pair.

8. I adore the second one! Garage catchlights are the best, and that smile is PERFECT!

9. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    i'm with the crowd on this one

10. Oh these are lovely Mitch! She is growing up so quickly, and your garage photography continues to stun! :biggrin:

I'd love to give this a try (now that we have two garage bays). Any particular type of lighting (i.e. high sun) that one tries to avoid when shooting? My garage faces south, but we're hidden under heavy oak canapy, so rarely have hard sun. :smile:

11. Thanks, Charles. Sometimes I wonder why I ever take that lens off. It is clearly my best performer at any aperture.

12. Gretchen, I'd love to see shots of your daughter in your garage!!

Your setup sounds pretty good. The oak should help shade some harsh light from entering your garage with your southern exposure.

Down here in Florida, I do best with early morning sun (before 10). My garage faces south, and when the sun is too bright, my subjects wind up squinting even though they are in the shade!:cool: Shoot with your subject 8-10 feet inside the garage entry. A reflector down low can sometimes be helpful. My first few attempts did not work because I did not use a tripod. I underestimated how dark it actually is in the garage with that broad, diffuse light. I now shoot at higher ISO and almost always use a tripod.

Get your daughter in the garage before winter comes!

13. Love the pose on the first one Mitch, she is darling.

14. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    A tight shot, a simple backdrop hanging behind subject with DOF should take care of the beam issue. I can't show samples because I don't have releases from the parents to do so, but I have been playing with this great light and loving the results. I will post some pics of my "outdoor studio" soon; in the process of moving right now but I will once I get settled in.:smile: