Sunpak 622 IR Flash with D70?

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by SilverEagle, Oct 8, 2005.

1. I charged up my old Sunpak 622 and put the IR head on it. I had almost forgotten that I had an IR flash capability. I only charged the battery for about an hour, but the 622 had all the sounds of powering up quickly. However, when I attempted to click the shutter on my D70, nothing happened. I then turned the flash off, and the camera fired. Explanation? Pointers on IR flash - technique and equipment recomendations?

Thanks,

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

How did you link the flash to the camera?

I'll expand on my own question: you need the AS-15 flash coupler for the D70, and the flash unit itself mustn't be set to TTL if it has that feature, either "A" or "M" modes on the flash will do.

I use my old SB-140 (UV) and SB-14(IR) flashes on a regular basis with my D70 cameras, so there is no reason your flash shouldn't work, unless it has some strange trigger voltage the D70 doesn't care too much about.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2005
  3. Connector is Nikon Dedicated NE-2D

I connect the 622 to the D70 with the dedicated cord with the NE-2D module. This works with my film camera F100. I just checked it. Also, I went in and set the power to 1/4 to see if that would make a difference. In addition, it does not work on my D70S.

Also, I picked up a 28mm f/3.5 NAI. Is there anyone you would recommend for conversion to AI?

I'm off to New Mexico tomorrow for some photography. If I don't get this figured out today, I'm not going to worry about it until I get back. Also, may not have internet access for much of trip.

Thanks for your help.

4. nfoto

nfoto Guest

OK, the issue is with the dedicated module, because it probably signals the flash has some capability the camera doesn't like.

Run an ordinary PC cable instead from the flash and hook this into an AS-15 adapter, which goes into the hot shoe of the camera. That simply has to work since I'm basically using an identical setup with my own flashes on the D70.

For the 28/3.5, all you need is trim off material on the rear of aperture collar so it won't chafe on the mount of your camera. Do remove the collar from the lens before you start working on it, otherwise the focusing helicoid of the lens will be jammed with metal filings and you might risk not being able to focus the lens.

5. Bjørn,
    Thanks for the info. I will try the AI conversion when I return from my trip. My local camera shop did not have the AS-15, but they had a WEIN Hot Shoe Safe Sync. This did the trick. I understand it liimits the voltage to 6 volts. I speculate that the D70 was 'smart' enough not to fire with a possible voltage overload.
    I'll probably be without internet connection for the next 10 days. I'll post some photos when I return.
    Thanks again for your help.

6. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Have great fun dude! Bring back lots of IR stuff!