Sunrise and near sunset from the outer banks

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Rapman1959, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Rapman1959

Rapman1959

May 7, 2005
    Dubois PA
    This first one was just before the sun came up over the horizon

[​IMG]

5 min later the sun was up and I got this shot. Used a reverse graduated neutral density filter. still had to under expose not to blow out the sun. DO you think it is to dark? Both of these were shot with D2X and 12-24mmDX lens.

[​IMG]

This last one was taken at the end of the day with the D2X and 200-400mm vr lens. I was actually just curious about the pile-ons off in the distance and wanted to get a better look and got this shot.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking. Any and all comments welcome and appreciated.
    Adolfo

2. Clean simple lines on your sunrise shots make this a well done and presented image. I find the last image to be interesting but somewhat subdued or desaturated as to color and snap. Perhaps that is how you wanted to present it. The children playing on the beach are delightful.

3. Rapman1959

Rapman1959

May 7, 2005
    Dubois PA
    Gordon, thanks for the comments.

The last one was subdued in real life. End of the day hazy and a long long way away from where I was standing. The reason I liked it is that it has a sort of Norman Rockwell look.

Adolfo

4. Hi Adolfo

I love these - they have a restrained quality to them. If you are looking for feedback I have the have a couple of comments.

In the first shot, I like the composition, but got to wondering how it would look if you cropped out a little more sky, down to the clouds. I think I would like it a little more - tough to call.

In the second shot you mentioned you under-exposed so as to not blow out the sun. Well, it is going to blow out no matter what - the issue is keeping the color and saturation in the surrounding sky. I like what you have done. You could try applying a mask in photoshop and brightening the foreground a little.

5. I was glad to see Rory make that comment as I had the same thoughts myself and had actually held up a paper to the top of the image. I liked it better, perhaps because it moved the horizon out of the center of the frame.