Sunrise at 35,000 feet

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by haze2, May 7, 2007.

1. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The thing I hate about long-haul international flying is that the vast majority of the flights are at night. It's incredibly hard on the body to constantly switch from being awake during the day, when at home, and being awake at night when at work. But one thing that can sometimes mitigate the misery of working an all-nighter is the occasional spectacular sunrise. Shooting through thick, angled glass that is laced with heating elements and electrical connections is not easy. Blurred and double images with strange reflections often occur and there is not much you can do about it, except to keep shooting. The problem is far less severe during the day, but at night it's terrible. About 2 of 12 shots will be usable. This shot is a recent sunrise over Arizona on a flight from Honolulu to Houston.

2. LisaR

LisaR Guest

WOW!!!! Great shot!

3. Haze, that shot turned out great.

I spend a fair amount of time on long international flights (almost always on the airline I think you fly for), only in my case I'm in a different seat usually trying to catch some sleep so I miss a lot on sunrises. Glad your not sleeping when in your seat (at least I hope not :biggrin: ).

4. Now THAT's a beautiful sunrise and from a completely different perspective! I love the gradation from the blues at the top to the bronzes in the clouds at the bottom. You've managed to hold most of the highlights (difficult in this situation). Well done.

Looks like a wide-angle is in your future???? :wink:

5. azhiker

azhiker

Mar 13, 2007
    Phoenix Arizona
    Makes me want to sit back and enjoy a cup of coffee and the peacefulness of the morning. Super shot.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow that is just beautiful

7. awesome shot Haze.
    was it taken with the window open?:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

8. That is a awesome shot, Haze!

9. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for all the kind comments. I was just trying to stay awake, and was actually dreading the bright sun in my face, when I realized what a spectacular sunrise was developing.

Willy, I fly for Continental and if you are ever on a Boeing 767 and hear my name, please let me know so we can visit. I usually fly the pacific and South America.

Sandy, I have several wide angle shots of this scene (18mm) but they just didn’t have the same impact. For some reason the wide angle high altitude aerial shots just don’t come across like wide angle landscapes. I’ll send you a couple of shots to show you what I mean.

Thom, Arizona is the sunrise and sunset king…..even from 35,000 feet! I was drinking coffee, but it was more for the caffeine jolt than the beautiful view.

Shot with D80 and a lowly little kit lens.

10. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    great shot but when you are shooting, who is flying the plane???? ;)

11. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I was waiting for that question! Ya gotta love autopilots and co-pilots.

12. I've seen some LOVELY sunrises up around 38k on trips over to the UK and Europe. Somehow, it always happens that I'm not IN a window seat when I see them! :rolleyes:

This shot is gorgeous, I love those really deep reds down in the clouds, "enveloping" is the word that comes to mind.

Thank you for sharing this!

13. Haze,
    Love the shot. Just one question "How did you take it and keep you hands on the wheel (yoke)?
    Just kidding I've been flying, passenger only, both commercially and militarily for well over 40 years. I take what you do on faith, get me where I need to be to do my job. You haven't failed me yet.
    Rich

14. asaya

asaya Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    WOW is that spectacular, just have to take a moment to thank you and your fellow pilots for the great job that you guys & ladies do moving people around the world.

Just my personal thank you and I guess while your at it keep taking these marvelous shots

15. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Haze, great shot , the color is absolutely stunning. I hope you didn't use that inflatable auto-pilot again did you?:biggrin: - Jeff

16. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks again for all your comments....and humor. :smile:

17. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi haze-

lovely shot. i've never seen a sunrise from an airplane (i don't fly that early :wink:), thanks for sharing your photo.

ricky

18. Thank you Haze for the nice thought to share with us a such beautiful experience. I've flown just four times (and when I shouldn't had to!) in my life but surely this is a great shot, even with the plane vibrations. Great twice :)
    all the best

19. A wonderful scene and a beautiful capture. Great job!