Sunrise at Sandy Hook New Jersey

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Anthony747, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Hi all! Sometimes it pays off to get up early! I shot these with the my D70 and nikon 12-24 glass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking...comments welcome.

Anthony

2. Anthony,

WOW ! Spectacular...

What time did you take those photographs ? I guess I will take a ride down there one day.

3. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Anthony,

an excellent set of photos with a great lens and camera combo, but most importantly a good photog behind the lens.

My thoughts,

Image number 1: very nice, however, I am torn between wanting to see more of the sunset I know is on the right side vs the interesting wood stand.

I love the angle of the wood bringing the eye toward the same angle portrayed in the sky. A nice contrast betwen light and dark in this image, perhaps a bit more light on the subject (wood stand?) would have been best, but then you were worrying about image number 2 and 3, after all the sun is rising fast!

#2 and 3: A stunning image set, simply great, each different yet similar, the dark foreground vs the lighter foreground in #3, the difference in the way the clouds were lit, the difference in the blue in the sky, the reflection in the water in the lower left third of both images is great. The flare from the sun in the images is to die for. Outstanding capture. I would probably vote for number 3 first though since there is more variety in the light vs dark and different light levels hence more interesting to look at for longer periods of time. Plus it is a wider angle, more sky. I like wide scapes, so this suits me better.

#4: Also a nice image but in my humble opinion not in the same league as number 3. The foam in the front is nice, and there is a different color scheme in the sky, but I seem to have less to look at. A fine image but not as great as #3.

Other thoughts,

Try getting lower to the ground on some of those scapes for a different look,but.....Don't change what ever you are doing with the camera/aperture,shutter, your metering and capture is great. :)

Cheers,

Wade

4. Hi Jay, These were taken at 6:17 am on August 27. I only live about 10 min from the Hook and if the clouds looking interesting when I get up I’m there!

Thanks, Anthony

5. Hi Wade,
    Thanks for your constructive critique! My set up was about 2.5 ft up from the sand…I’ll try to get lower this weekend. Photo 2 was shot 1/15 s at f22, focal length 24mm and the one you liked was shot 1/20 s at F22 focal length 12mm the other end of the lens.

Thanks, Anthony

6. Excellent series just gorgoeus...

7. really nice.....!!!...like #1 & #3 the best...... :smile:

8. Thanks Mike! The Hook is looking forward to your next visit!

Anthony

9. Hi Glenn! Thanks.

Anthony

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Anthony,

Your sunset images are gorgeous. The colors are so brilliant and the clouds are wonderful. Interesting view of the lifeguard stand...neat perspective. Great captures.

11. Thanks Frank!

Anthony

12. Anthony, that is really a beautiful sky you have captured there. Well done.