Sunrise at Schwabecher Landing.

In my humble opinion, one of the most photogenic National Parks is Grand Tetons. I have been there in two different occasions and I wish I could visit it again soon but there are other places that need my attention.

I made this photograph in an early October morning. It was cold, near freezing and by the time I got there it was still dark which gave me plenty of time to set up my tripod.

By the time I noticed the first light I was already in my selected position to shoot. As a bonus the full moon of the previous night was still lingering. I guess there were at least 20 photographers there waiting for the sunrise so it was kind of tight and hard to move the tripod without obstructing the view.

I took several shots using a graduated neutral density filter. I particularly liked this shot. In a few minutes the magic was gone when the sun began to rise and the light lost its mystical effect.
I hope you like it as much as I did.

SunriseSchwabacherLanding_zps244f559c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Camera: Nikon D100 set to shoot JPEG images.
Tripod: Gitzo metal tripod with Linhof ballhead.
Edited in Topaz Adjust 5 using a preset but modified to my taste.
Lens used was the legendary 28-105 f3.5-4.5 D
HiTech graduated neutral density filter.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Real Name
Alvin
Classic location. Well done.

I shot there about 7 or 8 years ago. I got there way before sunrise and by peak
light, there were multiple rows of photographers with interlocking tripod
legs.

Still an amazing location.

Alvin

Beautiful photograph...

I was at that spot last year before sunrise with about five other photographers. Unfortunately, thick clouds rolled in and there was no light whatsoever...and no sunrise to speak of. I captured some images, but good photos require good light. :frown:

Glenn

Beautiful …. know the spot and Im figuring to be there Wed. morning trying to get as nice a shot …

ron

Ron;

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the road to Schwabacher Landing is closed this year due to budget cutbacks. If you go, you'll have to park near the gate and walk down. We were there a few weeks ago and noticed the gate was closed. The newspaper you get upon entering the park mentions it as well as the road to Two Ocean Lake being closed.

Plenty of other great places to shoot though.

Ron;

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the road to Schwabacher Landing is closed this year due to budget cutbacks. If you go, you'll have to park near the gate and walk down. We were there a few weeks ago and noticed the gate was closed. The newspaper you get upon entering the park mentions it as well as the road to Two Ocean Lake being closed.

The road was in awful shape when I drove it last year. My car nearly got stuck in a rut. On the way back up, the car bounced so much that the side was scratched by a large rock. It's not surprising to me that the road has temporarily been closed!

Glenn

Thank you gentlemen for your compliments. Indeed it is hard not to do well at Grand Tetons with its beautiful landscapes.
This particular shot was made around 2002-2003 when I bought the D100 as my first digital camera. I do miss it in spite of its old sensor. I did not know how to handle RAW files at the time nor I had software to do so.
To make the story short, I had some nice shots from that trip and some of the images are hanging in our walls.
William.

Ron;

Thanks for the heads up but I had already heard about this and to be honest when I was there 3 years ago with my rental compact car I barely made it up and down …. that is one bad road --
Definetly worth abit of a walk ….

ron

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom