Sunrise from the House of the Sun

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by davewolfs, Jul 11, 2007.

1. davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    Also known as Haleakala.

This is a difficult image to work with so I am hoping to get some feedback and C&C before moving forward.

Thanks for looking.

2. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Its a tough place to shoot. Drama awaits the patient shooter.
  3. paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
  4. I like the composition and tonality, Dave; there's a lot of mysterious elements that make it sort of other-worldly since the clouds are almost wavelike over the mountain terrain.

5. davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    I made a second version. Tried to calm down the highlights and bring some more details out of the shadows. Your opinions are greatly appreciated and thank you for the comments.

6. Very nice image. The sky is definitely improved in the second image. As you bring detail out in the shadows, you are losing contrast, which I think is more important.
  7. JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I like the composition, and the layer of clouds with the sun peaking over is really neat. As for the two edits, I think you had the right idea with the second version, but went a little too far; it looks "processed". I think somewhere in-between the first and second edit would be ideal. I think the amount of shadow detail in the first image is fine; if you just reduce the blow-out in the sky some in the first version I think you'd definitely have a keeper.
  8. MJAM

Feb 20, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Wow, that new version is a winner!
  9. dave, stunning capture. the composition is great and i really dig the ambiguity. i see that in the second version of this, you retained a somewhat good amount of detail in the clouds and sky, which is excellent and is something you should take advantage of, like you did in the second version. i think you may have went a little too far bringing out the shadow detail in the valley below and i think i see a little haloing around the distant mountain range. i think if you keep the valley darker but still retain detail and keep the pp you already have on the lit foreground and the clouds/sky, this shot will be even more impacting.

if i were you i would print this fairly large and frame and put on the wall, with nothing else on that wall. yeah.
  10. PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Dave :

The two images call for an HDR approach between them. Each one has elements that the other lacks, and I think that you could reach a happy medium between these shots. Photoshop's HDR function choked on tests I ran, but Photomatix did an interesting job with S&H Intensive.

Worth thinking about, anyway...

John P.
  11. Marcos

Nov 20, 2005
    FL, USA.

Wow second one for me is fantastic!
  12. Stunning. - #2 is even more stunning. Nice work.
  13. Okay, you asked for CC! I think the second shot is stunning...........well, almost! Unless my monitor is not calibrated correctly, I don't see real black in the image. I think for a B&W to be totally vibrant it needs both a pure white and total black. For me, black in a photograph is like the Base section in the back of a concert's just gotta be there!