Sunrise over Mt Baker

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by hillrg, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Mt Baker is located in northern Washington State, and is quite visible from where I live on Vancouver Island in Canada. This is the time of year when the sunrise is right behind Baker. This photo was taken with the 300/4, and only cropped on the top and bottom to achieve the panarama aspect.

original.

and this is what it looked like only a moment later...

View attachment 17215

2. Those are breath-taking, thanks for sharing.

3. Rory, I really like the first one. but prefer the proportions of the second. This sunrise must have been an overwhelming sight! Outstanding work!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

4. Hi Virginia

I like the second crop better too - the sun acts to balance the tree and there is a better proportion of sky and ground. I had already left, and as I was driving up the road I realized I was missing the best part. A quick u-turn and tripod setup saved the day...

5. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Rory, as Virginia says, outstanding, beautiful images.

6. It looks like these beautiful images were taken in Kenya instead of Washington State. I was just out there a few weeks ago and got a good look at Mt. Baker. It didn't look like that. Well done my friend.

7. It is funny you should say that - I was thinking the same thing as I took them. The foreground is one of the driest locations on the west coast. It is just a little below my house. We only get about 15" of rain per year, compared to the average 40-70" and 300" on the outer coast.

It was a cool experience. Weather permitting, I am going to try again tomorrow morning, armed with the 500/4.

8. Rory,
    I love these kinds of shots and yours are exceptional!
    Will look forward to what tommorrow brings us through your lens.
    Dave

9. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Rory,
    Beathtaking capture, just nothing short from fantastic.

10. Hi Dave

I was looking at your smugmug scenics and can see why you say you like these type of shots. I love your shot of the smoky mountains? It is the last one on the first page of scenics.

11. Thanks for the comeback Rory. And thanks for looking at my site. The image you are refferring to is in West Virginia.
    Dave

12. Rory, breathtaking shots. Eagerly waiting for the next sereis.

Now we should all try to get up earlier :smile:

13. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Photoshop out those bushes on the right of the tree and you've really got something there.

14. I grew up a mere 30 miles from Mt. Baker and was spoiled with beautiful scenery just up the Mt. Baker highway.

These are excellend shots - thanks for sharing.

15. Hi Scott

Thanks for the feedback. I had not thought about that, but now that you mention it, the bushes do distract, don't they? I will give it a shot.

16. Awesome reminds me of the Africa pictures some people shoot. You don't need a 300mm F2.8 VR you are doing just fine with the F4 :) Agree on theh Photoshopping out the bushes, would looke very serene. Where did you take this?

17. Just below my house at Piper's Lagoon Andreas. BTW, the 300 is on order :smile:

18. Great capture...love the composition..the tranquility of the scene...colours....

Thanks for sharing

Bohdan

19. jln319

jln319

Oct 12, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Those are very nice. I really like the color. Does look like it's out of National Geographic. I was expecting to see a giraffe grazing in the tree......

20. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Very Nicely Done !

Regards

RFC