Sun's out at Juanita!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by RonS, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Sun is out at Junaita Bay (finally) so I had to try the new lens again. Sigma 500mm F4.5.

Trying to get a good long lens technique, after reading the information mentioned in several threads here.

Some samples...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little ruffage for the diet?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Good stuff, Ron, and it will get better. What the exposure on the GBH's. One thing I find down at Juanita is that when the sun is out, compensation is my best friend :smile:

3. Thanks Bill.

The two GBH shots had 0 bias, spot metering. Yes, I do fight with the exposure on any light birds. I was going to -.7EV for some containing white (none posted here) to get rid of the blinkies. The GBH shots all came out with the bird really faded out looking.

4. Starting to look better and better. I go to -1.3 EV with GBH's....

5. Thanks Andreas.

NOTE to Nikon... Please include a user programable "Bird Species" dial on your next camera. We can input all necessary settings (exposure bias, shutter speed, aperature, etc.). I could use one for cars as well.

6. Ron, the dial I want is the "expose it the way it should be for the bits that I really care about, and oh, while you are it, do it 5 or 10 times around that just in case"....oh, wait, maybe that is the "bracket" thingy........:wink:

Now, if they were to add in some audio thing that would call the birds and animals closer, that would be cool. And just think how many they would sell to hunters as well........hmmm, maybe that's NOT such a good idea after all....

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice variety of images.
    Really good Northern shovelers. the first two.

I shoot manual. Easier

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    These look at lot better Ron. I notice you used Spot metering. Ron R recommends using Matrix metering for shots like these. I 'm used to using Center-Weighted, but am trying my best to get used to Matrix.

9. Thanks Steve, I have grown to trust matrix on the D2X, however the bird is such a itsy-bitsy part of the total image I wasn't sure how well it would work.

I almost need a check list of things to try for each shot. I usually forget to experiment when I get caught up in the moment.

Next outing will be matrix...