Sunset & a new lense

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spudsbud, Jul 24, 2007.

1. There's a select few here who are aware of Nikon's shortage of the infamous 17-55 f2.8 here in the U.S. these days. As fast as they appear on website stores shelves, they're gone.
    I needed a wide lense for a family vacation a few weeks back and the Tamron 17-50 f 2.8 came very highly recommended to me by some people I dearly trust.
    To Frank, and a few others a sincere Thank you :biggrin:
    This lense is tack sharp in detail and a a full 1/3 the cost of the Nikon, I'm sold. (Thats 2/3's LESS ! )
    I can't recommend this lense highly enough. Save the $800.00 + for something else... like a mortgage payment!
    Anyway, heres a couple out my Computer's window.
    iso 100 f2.8 ss1/8" lense up against a dirty window!
    no PP. just resized

orig.

and a couple minutes later..

View attachment 107714

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful skys and colors
    Bit to much dark surrounding the images though.
    Anyway to get a bit higher
    Lens did a great job

3. Nice, very nice in fact - I know you recommended it to me a couple of weeks back but I went with the 17-55 from Nikon, I have no morgage to pay, no kids yet, no car payments... They will all come soon enough :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2007
  4. SoCalBob

SoCalBob

Feb 9, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    Jim -

Congratulations on the great new lens! I don't own one myself, but several of the more talented photogs on the Flickr Nikon D80 Users Group that I administer absolutely swear by it, touting it as pro-quality glass at a consumer price. And the pictures they post certainly back up their claims.

Also, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who always seems to shoot a sunset when a new lens first comes out of the box. Your sunset is gorgeous, and (since "dueling sunsets" are always fun because God does the heavy lifting and all we do is frame the picture and push the button), here's one of my very first very quick shots from my balcony with my new 70-300VR.

D80, 70-300VR @ 200mm, Aperture priority, CW metering, 1/320 @ f/8, EV -1.0, ISO 200
    722982952_fdab46e47a_b.

5. I think that's what I like about the shot. The darkness seems to frame the sky. But that's just my opinion.

6. Thanks guys!! Aint a new lense Grand : ~ )