Sunset at Don Edwards refuge, SF Bay area

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by obelix, Sep 18, 2005.

1. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Sunset:

[​IMG]

Stumps:

[​IMG]

House and hill:

[​IMG]

Hut and sunset:

[​IMG]

All were shot with a 3 stop GND. I think I also used a 3 stop ND filter in some.

Comments welcome.

2. Love the color in those last two images. Thanks for sharing this series.

3. Anand, you really caught some sweet light here, particularly in the last 2. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

What do you use as your GND system?

4. Ooh, I really like the farmhouse, Anand! I'll bet you can sell prints of that one!

[​IMG]

5. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Thanks Gordon, Phillippe and Uncle Frank, truly appreciate it.

Phillippe, I use a thin Cokin P holder (thin since I use it on the tokina 12-24).

I have two GND filters

1) Hitech 2 stop GND and
    2) Cokin [el-cheapo] 3 stop GND

I have a 3 stop Hoya 77mm ND filter as well.

After really bad experiences with circular polarizer on the 12-24 (terrible banding http://www.anands.net/faq/gnd.html), I started using GND filter more and more and I am very surprised how much the colors come saturated out of the box.

The dynamic range is under good control and colors usually pop right off the camera.

6. Love the last two, I liek you have started using the cokin system with graduated netural densitys and they work real well

7. Anand,

Thank you very much for explaining your GND filter setup. :biggrin:

One last question if you don't mind. How do you align the edge (mostly using soft edges I would guess) with elements in the picture? :confused: You briefly mention the issue on your blog page and there is a definite improvement on your second try, but it would seem that in general, the subjects are not going to be all well defined with a flat line where it makes sense to line up the GND filter. What happens in that case, and where/how do you place the filter? I suppose I ought to just try it, huh? [And GNDs is something else I need to get, now, isn't it?... Grrr!!! :eek: :smile: ]

8. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Love the last two. Killer light. GNDs are THE filters to have after polarizers for landscape work. Spring for Singh-Rays if you can - the additional optical quality is so worth it.

9. Very nice Anand, composition on the last one is excellent!

10. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Philippe

Yes, it is true that you do not find a true flat line that is seen, but that in my limited experience affects hard edged GND filters more than soft edged GND filters. Soft edged GND filters have a small graduation of dark grey to light grey.

I slide the GND filter in the holder, stop down to f/22 and hit the DOF preview button. At that point (if you can see anything thru the VF that is :D), I adjust the filter's position. In most cases, it works. I am sure that if you nitpick, you *will* find the zone of gradation, but I have nitpicked and seen the gradation even in Galen Rowell's photographs :). [You should see his Bishop, CA gallery, filled with 40x60 prints - I am headed there tomorrow, again].

For instance, see this photo, with a 2 stop GND.

[​IMG]

If you observe closely, you *will* notice the gradation in some of the trees halfway. There is no escaping that :(, but usually it is not obstrusive.

I, for a long time, did multiple exposures and blended them. I still use that technique, but given a choice, I use GND filters, they keep exposure under control and life is easy during post processing as well.

In the case of the blog photo you mention, in the 2nd photo, I moved the transitioning edge closer to the top of the fence. In the first attempt it was on top of the roof and it under-exposed the bottom half a LOT. In the 2nd attempt, once I learnt to use DOF preview button, I positioned the transitioning area closer to the top of the fence, resulting in a much better exposure.

Unfortunately, as Thom Hogan says in his GND / filter page, it takes a while to find out where to position the transition and I think after a while, you simple "get it" :).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2005
  11. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    John

Sure. I will eventually buy Galen Rowell - Singh Rays. But it is very tough to justify the expense to myself :(. I will eventually get there.

Thanks.

12. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Thanks Vinod.

Tomorrow morning, I am heading back into Eastern Sierras. This time, part of a photo workshop. http://www.stevekiser.com/valley.html.

As I mention above, I am going to stop by Galen's gallery - again, in Bishop, CA.

If you are ever headed this way, you should stop by there. It is a long winded drive, but the area is beautiful and his gallery is mind blowing. For all those who whine about noise, one should see his work with fast film.

http://www.mountainlight.com/about.html

13. Angelo

Angelo

Sep 19, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA

I agree. Nice series Anand.

14. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Thanks Angelo.

15. Thanks a bunch Anand. That was very helpful. :cool: :smile: :biggrin:

Enjoy your trip to the Sierra and the visit to Gallen's gallery. It sure looks like a great place to visit. I have been to Bishop once a long while ago... but didn't know about Galen Rowell. :redface: I can get a glimpse of what I missed thanks to the link you provided. Thanks again! :biggrin:

16. Anand -

What fine light you captured!

Especially, the "house and hill" is very impressive - well done and thanks for sharing these.

Eric