Sunset in Rockville, MD (8 shots)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by SP77, Jul 22, 2007.

1. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

D40, 18-55 II handheld. Didn't even bother with my grad ND! I'm VERY pleased with these. The last time we had a sunset like this that I tried to shoot, I used my D80 and the exposure was all over the place with my grad ND. Had lots of blown highlights and maybe got one or two keepers. I must have been trying to out think it. Since I had the 35/2 on my D80 from shooting my little girl earlier in the day, I just grabbed the D40 this time and with minimal fuss it managed to get pretty great shots.

Dunno, but whenever I try to do sunsets with my D80 the metering seems to be all over the place and it's quite a challenge. The D40 "just works". I'll have to try it next time with the D80 but without the grad ND too.

2. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    bump for C&C welcome. :smile:

Could anybody let me know if the highlights look blown out or not, especially those of you with the fancy Apple displays? My monitor at home is calibrated, but I had a bear of a time calibrating it and it's not an Apple display unfortunately. I think the display rails out before the actual image does, so even though it may "look like" some highlights are blown it's really just my specific display and/or calibration and not the image itself. They don't look blown on my Dell 19" FP at work, but it's not calibrated.

Thanks. :smile:

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    These are beautiful images
    I don't see anything blown here

4. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    thanks Gale. Guess it's just my screen then, a Westinghouse 20.1" Flat Panel (1400 x 1050). Got it for $229 on sale at Best Buy before I jumped ship over to Mac a few months later. You get what you pay for I guess, lol. :smile: