Sunset in Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by PJohnP, Aug 26, 2005.

1. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    I had a splendid time with my work for two weeks in Wisconsin, enhanced by the solid and useful suggestions of colleagues at my client's plant for great shooting locations (they also were incredibly tolerant of my showing them those shots ! :redface:). Although I don't miss the bugs, I do miss the lush green and the expanses of water, especially at sunset.

[​IMG]
    D100, 12-24mm AFS, ISO200, f/6.3, 1/45s, processed in NC and PS-CS, uncropped

Critiques solicited and welcomed.

This is from the Necedah National Wildlife Refuge which should be a stop for anyone proceeding up the centreline of Wisconsin, about 90 minutes from Madison. Highly highly recommended location for shooting or just kicking back in nature.

Always shoot.

John P.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2005
  2. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Very nice, John. I couldn't agree more about the beauty of WI. Drove through there a few weeks ago and went past Necedah.....there is no loss of photo opportunities in WI. From old barns to wildlife and lots of open spaces :biggrin:

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Lisa :

Thanks for the kind thoughts. WI is a lovely state.

And I see now I put this thread into the wrong forum. Argh. I may say "always shoot", but I should also "always check" before posting. :mad: :rolleyes: :mad:

John P.

4. John,

I moved it to Landscape section.

Great photography. Colors are amazing and I see that you are putting that 12-24 to use !

5. Nice shot, John. I lived in WI for about 6 years but farther up north on the MI border. It's beautiful country side and a great place to grow up!

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jay :

Thanks for rescuing me !

As for the 12-24mm, I really really enjoy that lens. I know it gets slammed by a fair number of people, but it's got about the optimum range of WA for my work (and pleasure) shooting. When I'm shooting in a chemical plant or somesuch, it's probably used for 90%-plus of my photography, and delivers consistently good photos. I haven't used my 18-35mm in months (and probably should sell it - it's too nice a lens to sit on a shelf). And for moments in low light, it's an amazingly steady and crisp lens, despite the f/4 aperture.

Thanks for the kind thoughts about the shot. I only take credit for popping the shutter at a given moment - the colours were provided right in front of me to see...

John P.

7. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Kevin :

I've worked around that piece of WI as well. I think Wisconsin gets overlooked by a lot of people, even those living in the Great Lakes region, and as such is a bit less overwhelmed with tourists. I'm lucky enough to have times I work there and enjoy it.

Thanks for the kind thoughts on the shot.

John P.

8. John:

Great image. Love the refection of the clouds on the water. Also, the image has great balance with the weeds in the lower left to the plants in the upper right. Show us more.

Gil

9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Gil :

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

I need to process some other shots, but I might, just might, have one or two more hidden to work with...

John P.