Super Bikes at Laguna Seca - In the Pits (7 images)

On Tuesday some of the AMA Superbike teams were at Laguna Seca for testing. This was after the second day of the two day test session at Infineon in Sonoma had been washed out. Only Ducati, Yamaha and Kawasaki turned up and it looked for a long while like they might not run at all as it had poured rain all night long and the track was very wet.

I'd played hooky from work for this and thanks to my good mate Andrew Wheeler of http://www.automotophoto.com I had, for the first time in my life, ended up with an official photographer's armband. That was a huge buzz and I was going to make the most of the opportunity whatever happened.

This meant I took photos of bikes from every angle I could think of and here's some of the results:

All images with the aged D100 and the Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G AF-S (I like this lens), ISO 200, aperture priority.

kawasaki_laguna_22mar05_ndsc8742.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

62.0mm; 1/60s; f/8.0; matrix; pop-up flash

kawasaki_laguna_22mar05_ndsc8744.jpg

85.0mm; 1/60s; f/8.0; matrix; pop-up flash

yamaha_laguna_22mar05_ndsc8759.jpg

45.0mm; 1/80s; f/7.1; EV: -0.33; spot; no flash

ducati_laguna_22mar05_ndsc8772.jpg

85.0mm; 1/250s; f/8.0; matrix; no flash

kawasaki_laguna_22mar05_ndsc8904_redo.jpg

52.0mm; 1/60s; f/4.5; EV: -0.33; matrix; pop-up flash

yamaha_laguna_22mar05_ndsc8756.jpg

62.0mm; 1/50s; f/7.1; EV: -0.33; spot; no flash

ducati_laguna_22mar05_ndsc8774.jpg

85.0mm; 1/500s; f/8.0; matrix; no flash

These are just some of those I've processed with many more to be done, but you get the idea. :)

Fortunately, I managed to control myself enough to preserve some storage for when the bikes did eventually get out on the track. Those images will be the subject of a thread to come in the not too distant future.

You can see all the images (more constantly being added as I slave my way through post-processing them) at http://www.motifwebs.com/gallery/ama_laguna

In the meantime, your comments and critiques are most welcome as always. Thanks for wading through them all. I know I've gotten a bit carried away, but I'm still jazzed from the day and from the images. :lol:

Neil

Cool shots Neil. Took me back to my biking days (I actually have owned 35 - still own one....;-)). I was into the dirt bike thing. Without writing everything down, I think that I owned a KTM 125, 5 KTM 250's, and a KTM 420, a Maico 250 and 400, a Bultaco 250 trials bike, etc., etc. I still have my KTM 200. :lol:

I can't wait to see the action shots. 8)

Regards,

Frank

Very nice Neil. As you might have guessed I have a passion for anything with wheels. :)
I really like your detail shots. I design and manufacture mechanical assemblies for the military and others, so these are right up my alley. Please post more when you get a chance.

Thanks guys!

Frank:
I love bikes, but never had the guts to ride one. I've always thought you need ultra-fast reflexes and a lot of luck to survive on the road and I doubt that I have sufficient of either. :)

Clive:
That really was a very kind thing of you to say. I must admit that I think these are some of the best images I've done.

Gordon and Mike:
Thanks to you both. I'm not sure the track images are up to the quality of these ones. Superbikes seem to go MUCH faster than the birdies I'm used to shooting and so I had trouble getting the rhythum. In fact, I don't think I successfully got a single panning shot. I'll post the track shots in the next couple of days when I've had a chance to post-process some more.

Dave:
Thanks. Here's four more of the Ducati 999 for you.

The whole thing:

ducati_laguna_22mar05_ndsc8785.jpg

From front to back:

ducati_laguna_22mar05_ndsc8799.jpg

ducati_laguna_22mar05_ndsc8807.jpg

ducati_laguna_22mar05_ndsc8793.jpg

Thanks again, I'm pleased people are enjoying them.

Neil

NeilCam said:
Dave:
Thanks. Here's four more of the Ducati 999 for you.
Wow! Very nice Neil, much nicer to look at than the Primer Feed Mechanism for a M150 Pallidin thats stting on my desk now. :D
More!

Breathe Bryan...................Breathe...............in.....out...........in.............out................1.............2...............3.....................WOW!! I have found a new lust!! The colors in your shots are amazing Neil!! Thanks for sharing these!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Thanks guys - this is fun.

Jay, does this one count?

kawasaki_laguna_22mar05_ndsc8908.jpg

Actually, there is more on my site at http://www.motifwebs.com/gallery/ama_laguna and I have more to process still.

Thanks again,

Neil

Fantastic

Neil,

stunning, love them. I am very jealous as I would love to get near these things.

This is my fave and would be a good entry in the comp -

ducati_laguna_22mar05_ndsc8772.jpg

Neil

Bring me the Ducati please,keep the others
WOW what a machine
You've captured the bikes with great feeling,keep them coming

Thanks Hans and Stu.

Stu:
I've already put up one of a Ducati in the contest, but I'll have to give consideration to changing it to the one you indicated.

Hans:
Gotta love those Ducatis, they really have soul.

I lay down on the wet tarmac to get this one:

ducati_laguna_22mar05_ndsc8819.jpg

I'd like to say I sat on it to take this shot, but I don't think they'd have been able to pry me off if I had:

ducati_laguna_22mar05_ndsc8831.jpg

Thanks again guys and I'm glad everyone is enjoying this as much as I am.

Neil

Real Name
Chris
Wow Neil - those are great! The Ducati is sweet, but the Kawasaki looks supernatural, and you are sure bringing out their bright colors and intricate details. It sounds like you had a real fun day, and looks like it was very productive too! Although I don't know what you do, I'll bet this beat work, eh?

Latest threads

Top Bottom