1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Super bummed about pics I took today

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rocketliv, Aug 21, 2008.

1. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

They are not good! The baby was crabby and not in the mood for pics so that didn't help but my pictures are also very poor quality! They are far from crisp. When you zoom into 100% they are not crisp at all! Is there any way to fix these? What did I do wrong?! Suggestions? I used manual, maybe that was my downfall! I was selecting a center focus point but it doesn't seem to have focused where I thought it should have. Is there a way to see this and correct it before getting it to the computer? Here are a few of the pics.

http://gallery.me.com/rocketliv#100302

2. Liv...
    i am looking at them now
    it would be better if you posted them directly here

3. here is one of them that i downloaded and did a bit of USM work with
    i hope you don't mind me posting it here
    if you do.... i'll remove it, IMMEDIATELY

356475717_kPj7Y-XL.
    NIKON D80    ---    55mm    f/8.0    1/40s    ISO 200

4. aos111

aos111

Mar 9, 2008
    little rock ar
    According to info on your shots you were shooting aperture priority not manual. Shooting f stops of@5 with shutter speeds 1/40th,etc. Try bumping up your iso from 200. Gives you more options on aperture and shutter speeds.

Andy

5. Liv,
    in 2 out of the 3 images...
    there wasn't good focus on the baby
    on this one..... there was and i did a bit of work to make it somewhat better

6. here are you 3 original images:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. i took a look at your EXIF
    ISO 200
    f/8.0
    1/40

that is your problem
    much too slow a shutter speed for this kind of work
    next time
    ISO 400
    and f/4.0
    and a faster shutter speed

that would be MY suggestion

8. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Liv, they aren't that bad. The exposure looks pretty good to me, but then I like bright skin-colors on kids.
    But as mentioned, no need to use f8 and speed 40. Try f4 and 1/250 or around there.

Your compositions are a bit ...well, boring since they're straight on, and very centered.
    Also, they seem to lack a bit of saturation but that could have been lost on the web.

Try to crop them a little differently, rule of thirds, bump Sat, and sharpen. Then I'll think you'll like them a little bit more.

9. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

eeek! I didnt check the ISO! Thank you for pointing that out. I am still not used to setting everything up. I use aperature priority and try to focus on that portion but often forget the others.

Linda- thank you! These are straight off the camera. I tried to keep him in the center for focus (which obviously didnt work) and then hoped to crop later. I am still a bit too dependent on cropping after instead of during the shoot which I know I need to improve on.

Thank you both!!

10. Agree, F/8 is a little much for this type of shooting.

ISO 200 is fine, just open up your aperture or try some fill flash.

11. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

Oh that looks great, what is USM?

12. UnSharp Mask.

It's a way of sharpening your image in post processing.

13. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

Thank you! I am trying very hard not to use the auto options on the camera and set things myself but I am still figuring out the balance. It's disappointing to get these types of shots but I know I need to keep doing it without the auto. Its just so frustrating to miss the cute faces. :( 

14. what program are YOU using to post-process your images?

15. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Sure...and also, did you put him in a basket like I suggested in the other post?

Another thing, shoot him from the side, while he's turning his head toward you but keeps the body horizontal.

16. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

oh yes! I love unsharp mask. haha! Thanks. I usually do unsharp mask and then reduce noise besides playing with levels & curves.

I have never messed with the saturation but I will play with that tonight.

I hope I can save enough shots.

17. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

I had one but he wasn't going for anything! He was crabby the entire time. Apparently he missed his nap. Other then being on his tummy, he was a crabby patty. And even there he wasn't too excited about it. The dad was ready to give up after 30 minutes because he was so fussy.

18. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I hear ya. After a similar session, I wrote a long and preachy post on my blog about making SURE that the babies have had their nap before the session
    and not in the middle of it.

After that, a few of my bookings got rescheduled :rolleyes:  all for the better. Some parents aren't really thinking through things.

19. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    welcome to the world of children!

I only shoot my 2 kids and have great respect for people who do this for others... my hat is off to you!

Seems to me you need to relax and get back to basics before you shoot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.