Super Duper Latest Version

Ever since I upgraded to the latest version of Super Duper to accommodate Catalina I have had trouble navigating it. I have not been able to get a successful Image backup yet. I am fortunate that I use Time Machine as well. I see there is now a Acronis True Image for Mac. Has anyone tried it yet? I use Acronis on my Windows machine and I absolutely love it. I haven't figured out from their site if the Mac version is free as well. If you have tried it what do you think about it?

Ever since I upgraded to the latest version of Super Duper to accommodate Catalina I have had trouble navigating it. I have not been able to get a successful Image backup yet.
File a trouble ticket with Super Duper. It's a one-man operation and he is very good about answering and solving problems.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner and they have already issued cautions to their customer base NOT to install BIG SUR until at least 3 patches have been released by Apple because something in the guts and feathers of Big Sur FUBARS their application. Remember years ago that Apple systems "just worked"? Even Lloyd Chambers has been complaining about "core rot" for years.

I wouldn't touch Acronis.
After I saw your response it came to me.
I haven't used Acronis for Windows in quite some time.
I switched over to Macrium Reflect.
It's still installed on my machine I just don't use it any longer.
Is there anything for Mac you would recommend Richard?
I prefer to use something in addition to Time Machine.
From what I understand TM does a backup but only on most of the files.
If you have to do a major re-install TM restores many of the files but there are several system files it does not backup and requires several hours of downloading.
I would prefer to also have a disk image of everything on the drive.
If I need to replace a drive by cloning or have a major disaster I can be up again fairly quickly compared to TM. My problems with SD started when I reached a version where it had to reformat the backup drive to APFS. Right now it will not finish a complete backup. If I start a backup if never finishes and I am not successful in telling it to stop. It just keeps running until I literally have to forcefully power down the machine. Even telling the Macbook to shut down will not work. Disk Image does not work either.

File a trouble ticket with Super Duper. It's a one-man operation and he is very good about answering and solving problems.
Jim, I would do that but after seeing what SD has been doing I just don't trust it any more.
Please see my response to Richard (#6) to see what it is doing.
Time Machine is OK but I like having something that will make a drive image of the entire disk and verify it as well.

Jim, I would do that but after seeing what SD has been doing I just don't trust it any more.
Please see my response to Richard (#6) to see what it is doing.
Time Machine is OK but I like having something that will make a drive image of the entire disk and verify it as well.
Your choice, but I have always gotten a quick reply and solution every time I've reported a problem.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
My Mac experience is quite limited. I have used Carbon Copy successfully.

I prefer to use something in addition to Time Machine.
From what I understand TM does a backup but only on most of the files.
If you have to do a major re-install TM restores many of the files but there are several system files it does not backup and requires several hours of downloading.
I would prefer to also have a disk image of everything on the drive.
If I need to replace a drive by cloning or have a major disaster I can be up again fairly quickly compared to TM. My problems with SD started when I reached a version where it had to reformat the backup drive to APFS. Right now it will not finish a complete backup. If I start a backup if never finishes and I am not successful in telling it to stop. It just keeps running until I literally have to forcefully power down the machine. Even telling the Macbook to shut down will not work. Disk Image does not work either.
No such problems here on Catalina (it does not work on Big Sur). I agree you should file a trouble ticket with SuperDuper. They were responsive for me a couple years back and I'd bet they have a solution for you.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom