Super Full Moon (Saturday, March 19, 2011)

Does anyone have that link to let you know if it'll be cloudy a night and what the clarity will be in the sky?

I'm trying to find the moon rise time and if it'll be cloudy out or not in my area.

Thanks

And....What do you suggest when wanting to get a photo of the moon and something in the foreground? Focus on the foreground image with a slow shutter speed?

And....What do you suggest when wanting to get a photo of the moon and something in the foreground? Focus on the foreground image with a slow shutter speed?
No. Though the moon appears to be still, using too long of a shutter speed can actually cause the moon to look blurred because of its movement. This may be a good time to check your hyperfocal distance tables.

If laziness doesn't take over, I'll pack my stuff and spend the night at the mountains. Should be fun!
Might be more a matter of clouds/rain than laziness here in SoCal! Again... I missed the last eclipse because of weather, and now this. Oh well, probably for the better, I have a big photoshoot that afternoon anyway.

A slow shutter speed will make the full moon be an overexposed blob. It is illuminated by the sun, and Sunny 16 exposures apply... ie, ISO 200 - f/8 1/800 second.

However, the moon is basically a 12% gray card, and we may prefer it a bit brighter, maybe one stop more exposure than Sunny 16.

Search Google for Full Moon Exposure - several articles there.

Bluntly: cheat.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

These were overlays done in-camera, but double-exposures and PP work too.

Longer lens and I shoot at f/16 or better which means bumping up the ISO to get good shutter speeds. Im trying to decide where I want to shoot it. Depending on how large it is will determine the focal length. I know 100mm will be the minimum.

Trying to figure it out for tomorrow night. This is where I need FX. :smile:

D300, ISO 800, f/10 1/500 second, and 2000mm Celestron with T-mount. Bounce flash.

http://www.scantips.com/g2/dse_4372.jpg

Trying to figure it out for tomorrow night. This is where I need FX. :smile:

D300, ISO 800, f/10 1/500 second, and 2000mm Celestron with T-mount. Bounce flash.
And pray for a cloud free night.

The problem here in Colorado has been the wind. I went out to set up for a test shoot and encountered 30 mph winds with higher gusts. So much for sharp...

Do you still have that Celestron?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom