Super Peregrine Sunday (Large Post)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jfenton, Dec 18, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I went looking for bald eagles this morning but couldn't find them :(

I'll tell you up front that I'm thrilled with the flight shots, although they are a bit noisy. While I was shooting into a somewhat blue sky, the sun behind me was in fairly heavy cloud which reduced the available light considerably. In order to get these shots I use ISO 500 and 640 (Mostly 640) and underexposed them a hair on purpose to keep my shutter speeds up.

The flight shots are all of the celebrity Peregrine Mr. black / green 5W from New Hampshire. Once again, I found him chasing anything that moved out in the marsh and he was quite the acrobat today. These were shot with a 500 and TC14EII and they are cropped as I intentionally moved away so I wouldn't be too darned close! The focus isn't perfect. This is one of the fastest fliers in the world and had all I could do to keep him in the viewfinder was he was diving and flying, let alone keep the hot focus reticule on him!

First off, I came across what I originally thought was a red tail I've been watching, sunning itself. It turns out to be the biggest female Peregrine Falcon that I've ever seen! It is 2.5 times the size of the male I've been shooting.

original.

original.

original.

Now for Mr. 5W who is a young male, enjoying his first winter. He is approximately 50 miles away from the nest where he was reared in Manchester NH and he sure seems to be enjoying the salt Marsh on Plum Island :)

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow,
    Amazing you could even keep up with this bird. Especially in a dive.

Boy you are going to need Ideal weather for this one Jim.

Good work.

I really love the Perigrine Falcon and look foward to following Mr W5 with you.

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jim :

Great shots. Your falcon friends are certainly treating you well !

As for the size of the female, most falcons exhibit sexual dimorphism where the female is typically larger than the male, and peregrine falcons are no exception to this.

Again, great shots.

John P.

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi John

I understand the ladies being the bigger of the two in the bird world, but this gal is way bigger than most breeding female peregrines. Honestly, she's as big as a big red tailed hawk.

5. Very nice Jim

6. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

Jim,outstanding again! I want to be like you when I grow up.

7. Holy crap!

Amazing!

8. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Beautiful shots
    the perched shots are full of great detail and color
    and the flight shots are great

9. Wonderful series Jim. I know how hard this is to do and I'm truly impressed!

10. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Jim

I used to think that shooting swallows and purple martins in flight was tough.....let me tell you that peregrines are definetly tougher to keep in the viewfinder :)

11. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Ben

The lovely lady large bird was rather accomodating as twice she allowed me to get within 100" before screaming at me...taking off and then circling back around. I kept trying to talk to her and let her know that it was OK...but I don't think she understood people talk :)

12. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hey Pixel Pete

My wife says that you should re-think your statement because nobody should want to be like me when they grow up :)

13. Way to go, looks like you have found a friend, great shots you must be thrilled

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Just keep talking to her Jim,
    She will get used to your voice for sure.

that is so exciting to find them..

Wow.. That is just so neat.

Good going.

The Lady Peregrine is a beauty isn't she..

15. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Gale

The big female is a treat. Not only is she huge and beautiful, she is fairly calm and getting more trusting of me and in her own right, she is simply a majestic creature. The past few weeks, I've been blessed to be in the company of these creatures :)

16. WOW! Picking up my jaw from the floor...

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent series Jim. The flight shots are amazing. :smile:

18. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Thanks Folks

Some of them aren't great but you folks are to chicken to say anything...

:)

19. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well if I can see some noise , surely you can. Not worth mentioning.
    However the ability to even think of tracking the fastest bird on earth in a dive is an accomplishment in itself.
    I did mention you will need excellent weather for this speed demon :>))))))

There i nothing wrong with these images.

Print them on matte paper and away you gooooo :>)))))

PS: Crap I can't even get a pidgeon sittin still

20. Jim that is a pretty impressive series. Shows how much you think about the shot in order to get shutter speeds up. The noise is not bad at all and looks like the trade off was well worth the higher ISO. I am finding that I can get away with higher ISO as long as I nail the exposure fairly well.

Still trying to determine best way to hold highlights on eagles head and tail but preserve detail in body in bright sun. Here in the NW it is standard to be cloudy but once in a while the sun will pop out.