Supercross came to town

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by nipprdog, Mar 27, 2007.

1. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Went to Indy on Saturday for my second annual Supercross shoot. I prefer to shoot during practice, since the small amount of people allows me to sit where ever I want. I like to sit down near the bottom row, and pan the riders as they fly over.

this year's trip was different in that I rented a D80 to try out. (trying to figure out if I want to get a D80 for a second body, or just grab another D50 while I can. not sure if its's worth twice the cost.:wink: )

the only problem I had was with the RCA Dome. practice is from 12:30-2:30. each group of riders comes out for two seperate practice sessions. but they didn't open the outside gates until 12:30! not 12:00, like last year. by the time I got in, I missd the first practice session of the pros. :mad: :mad: :mad:

anyway, here are some pics;

these were with the D80 and my 80-200 2.8
    ISO 400
    1/160
    f2.8

DSC_0202Zcopyw.

DSC_0173Zcopyw.

DSC_0077Zpw.

DSC_0147Zcopyw.

DSC_0099Zcopyw.

these were with my D50 and 50 1.8
    ISO 400
    1/320
    f2.2

DSC_3988Bcopyw.

DSC_3961Bcopyw.

DSC_4051Bcopyw.

DSC_3926Bcopyw.

DSC_4089Bcopyw.

DSC_3998Bcopyw.

2. Nice pics. I saw the Indy race on TV, Sunday.

I was at the Orlando SX race on the 17th. (Will post some pics when I get them put on Pbase) That was one thing I didn't like about it. Practice started at 12:30 and the gates opened at 12:30. The good thing was that the first guys to practice were the high number guys. So I didn't miss much. I took over 500 pics during the two practice sessions and the main events. I just got back from Florida yesterday so I didn't get a chance to go through all of my pics yet, I took about 1500 pics during the 11 days I was down there. :biggrin:

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice shots.

Those backgrounds are tough though. To bad that stuff is not out side:>))))

4. MCN Photo

MCN Photo Guest

Nice shots, in the Stewart one 8th down is that RC in the background? Out with the old and all.

5. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN

thanks, Ed. I've been wondering where your Orlando pics were. that race was one of the best ever.

6. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    thanks, Gale. one of the reasons I like to pan some shots, is to blur the busy background.

the next day, I went to an outdoor MX. I'll post some of those in a few days.

7. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    thanks. it's Michael Byrne. he was Stewart's team mate last year, but switched to Suzuki this year. here's a shot of them a little closer to each other;

DSC_4023Bcopyw.

RC's final supercross of his career was the previous week at Orlando.

8. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nice action in these thanks for sharing

9. BryanSpeed

BryanSpeed

Feb 20, 2007
    N. Texas
    Good times and good images ! :)

10. I should have my Orlando pics done tonight...

Yeah, that battle between RC and Stewart was awesome!! I was hoping RC would have won that race since it was his last. Stewart was the fastest during both practice's, so I didn't think RC would win..:frown:

11. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN

Thanks, Mark.

12. MCN Photo

MCN Photo Guest

ESPN is behind down here I just got the Orlando race last friday night, it's an awsome comp even though Chad (read go Aussie) isn't close to Stewart. Are tickets expensive to go?

13. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN

Thanks. it'll be few days, but I'll post some of the outdoor shots from Sunday's MX.

14. I got my tickets for the Orlando race about 2 months before the race. I got them online from ticketmaster. The price for the two tickets, including ticketmaster fees etc was around $90.00. The price for tickets ranged from $12.00 to $34.00. It was definitely worth the money IMO.