Superimposing text over hyperlinks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SoCalBob, Jul 23, 2007.

1. SoCalBob

SoCalBob

Feb 9, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    Please forgive me, I know this stupid question has been asked and answered (probably multiple times), but I searched and couldn't find a relevant thread. :redface:

When I'm typing a message here, in email or on another website, how do I add a link to a website in the text of the message and then superimpose a word or phrase over it so that the word or phrase appears in blue and clicking on it will take the reader to the website?

Sorry to subject y'all to this silly question once again. I know I read how to do it some time ago, but as best I can remember, my memory ain't what it used to be. :frown:

I promise to print out the replies and but them in a folder I have marked, "Don't Lose These." Hey, at least I'm asking you where I left my car keys. :biggrin:

2. jmmtn4aj

jmmtn4aj

Apr 12, 2007
    Singapore
    For this forum which uses vB code, use
    Code:
    [ url="website url"]text you wanna use[ /url]
    Remove the spaces in front of 'url' and '/url'

If I do
    Code:
    [ URL="http://www.yahoo.com"]Yahoo[ /URL]
    it looks like this - Yahoo

3. Alternate method:

After you type your reply, highlight the text you want to link to and click on the little symbol of a globe with a chain link just above the reply box. A pop-up box will appear for you to type in the URL. I always just copy the URL and paste it into that window.

4. SoCalBob

SoCalBob

Feb 9, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    Thanks a lot guys. But what I was looking for specifically was a way to do it not only here in the Cafe, but in email and on other websites as well.

5. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    You could type your email in word and do the samething that Jim suggested. If you look on your toolbar there is a globe with a chain link. Follow Jim's instructions and you are good to go:)

6. Thanks guys I too was asking myself how did you do that.

7. jmmtn4aj

jmmtn4aj

Apr 12, 2007
    Singapore
    Code:
    <A HREF="URL">text</A>

8. It's probably a little different in each application, but in most you should look for a "link" symbol somewhere. I use both Gmail and Eudora, and both have something similar to this.

9. SoCalBob

SoCalBob

Feb 9, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    Thanks again, everyone. This is what I was looking for. :smile:

10. Rick727

Rick727

Jun 1, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    I've always wanted to know how that was done too. Bob, thanks for asking the question and thanks to everyone that responded.

11. SoCalBob

SoCalBob

Feb 9, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    Rick, I'm glad I'm not the only one here who is "HTML-challenged." :confused: Lots of forums (like the Cafe) and applications (like MS Office) have icons that automate the process. But it's sure nice to know how to do it without those crutches -- and so simple, too. :biggrin:

12. Jaws

Jaws

Mar 27, 2007
    Columbia, MD
    I also wondered how to do that. Good question. Thanks for all of the answers.