Support New Legislation to Allow Photographers A Market Value Deduction for Donated P

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ched, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Ched.

2. As noble an idea as this is, I doubt it will ever pass. As it stands now, artists are only permitted to claim the value of the materials in whatever they donate.

On the face this seems grossly unfair (as an artist I feel the same way) until one considers the potential for abuse. Who decides something is art? Who is qualified to appraise art? Who is an artist?

What is to prevent an "artist" from piling a bunch of garbage into a heap and calling it art and having an art industry (having owned and operated an art gallery for 10 years I can assure you that it IS an industry) croney "appraising" it at a million dollars?

It will be interesting to follow the progress of this legislation, but I doubt it will ever pass. But if it does, I'll be looking up some of my old contacts for an appraisal or two.

Woody

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Would this mean that whenever I take pictures for friends and family I could take a tax writeoff? :biggrin: