Surfing

One morning, I stopped by the San Clemente Pier to photograph some surfers. I don't know anything about surfing. But, very few surfers were staying on their boards for very long and there wasn't much action to shoot. One of the surfers told me that the more skilled surfers go a few miles south to Lower Trestles Beach.

I put my gripped D800 and 500 VR in my bag and walked the mile to Lower Trestles. I was in for a treat. Some of the top surfers in the world were practicing for an upcoming competition. One of the surfers told me that Jeremy Flores (France) was out on the water--so I tried to capture a few shots of him.

The D800 served me well throughout this trip as it centered primarily around architecture and landscapes. But, it was a poor choice for surfing! I had several challenges:
  • The surfers were way out there. At one point, I put a 1.4x TC on my 500 VR--and the surfers were still small in the frame.
  • The frame rate is unacceptable for action. It takes great timing and more luck to capture the right moment with one exposure for most of the sequences.
  • The focus acquisition isn't up to this task.
  • The sun started shining brightly after a while--which introduced such contrast that it wasn't worth shooting any longer.
It would have been great to have a D500 with me for this!

In any event, it was a treat to watch these surfers. And, I did capture some decent shots. This is one of Flores...

p40381280-4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D800, 500 VR

Thanks for looking...I hope to post a few more once I start editing them.

Glenn

I agree what you say about the D800 except I would think initial acquisition would be o.k. However, I wasn't there you were. :)

Thought you had troubles you did get a good one here.

This is a very nice image, Glenn. I can imagine just how far out they were.
Thanks Lyndee...yes, a cropped sensor might have helped.
I agree what you say about the D800 except I would think initial acquisition would be o.k. However, I wasn't there you were. :)

Thought you had troubles you did get a good one here.
The initial acquisition was OK...and even the tracking was acceptable for the most part. I think it was the addition of the TC that introduced some difficulties.

When the surfers got a bit closer, the camera and lens did great--except for the slow frame rate.

p607258892-4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Glenn

Great series and you only need to capture a few frame in sports and there are always a lot of throw always.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom