Surprise Surprise (Gotta-look)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Lou Buscher, May 19, 2007.

1. I was fixing some lunch and I saw a nice RRBB land by the feeder so I grabbed a camera and went to my deck blind. Look I know I already posted one today but I just gotta show you this great surprise. OK first the RWBB I went out for.

504745996_64bc548caf_o.

2 2 WHOA where did he drop in from? God I never saw him coming
    504746000_ab13b76d40_o.

3 OMG Look at the size of him and he’s walking right toward me. I can’t fit him in the frame and I don’t even think of zooming back (DUMMY) I have the 100 to 400 lenses. My heart is saying stay with him Lou but my bad knee is saying get the hell out of here.
    504746012_77df209a2f_o.

2. 4 Hey I did my zooming in PSCS (SAFER)
    504746016_549f03c46a_o.

5 My God he is a gorgeous bear and big. Beautiful coat right out from hibernation and after my bird feeder in broad daylight.
    504746024_3f5a4405e1_o.

OK I now have chased him away with a few choice words about bird feeders.
    Whats the odds he will be back??? Thanks for tolerating two posts on one day.
    Lou

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Holey Smokes....
    woowoowow
    I will say he sure is pretty...
    And pretty ...to close

I think he will be back:>))))
    Be careful

Great shots
    Don't know how you kept your wits about you

4. Thanks Gale AND ISEN'T HE A BEAUTY. I get quite a few bears and I take my feeder in at night or they will destroy it. That's the reason for the coffee can feeders. Heck the seed is expensive enought without buying new feeders all the time. Not to worry as I have full respect for these animals and have lived with them since 1970 in this place I built. I have in all these years had only one really close call with a good size female with 2 cubs which I didn't see but she told me all about them and I listened and backed off. Never run from a bear, useless
    Lou
    PS I posted the answeres to your eagle question on the P99 post

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2007
  5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yes very beautiful bear
    I would be thrilled to see one

6. Dramatic photos, Lou. And the bear will most definitely return if there is food to be found!

7. Nice shots. I am glad that the only thing that invades the feeders, in my yard, are the squirrels.

8. revdhd

revdhd

May 2, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Lou,

Devout coward that I am, I would have been quivering in my boots and would have taken the first chance to exit.

I'm kind of new at shooting birds, so I'm wondering... Do I have to get this close to bears to stay with this? What kind of lens do you use when you want to run real fast? LOL!

Very nice, fearless leader!

God bless.
    Doug

9. We have a lot of them here in the Catskill park Preserve and they are a pain with the garbage and if you raise chickens. Last yer several had to be shot by the DEC. Bad Bears.
    Lou

10. Yes David they sure will but I take my feeders in at night just because of this and besides it's against the law to "QUOTE" bait a bear:rolleyes: I posted a bunch awhile back with cubs and last hunting season there were over 500 Black Bears taken in the hunting season just here in the Catskill Park Preserve. Thanks for looking.
    Lou

11. Ha Ha Cliff hey they can give you rabies with a bite. God I got a bunch of them also. Thanks for the look.
    Lou

12. HE HE HE :biggrin: Doug first things first you can never run from a bear if you do it's all over lay down and cover you A*^&, play dead. Second is don't matter what lens it is as long as it's a cheap one cause it's best to leave it as extra weight will slow you down if you decide to run.:biggrin: :biggrin: Thanks for the look
    Lou

13. OK Lisa tell me, what is Eep??? Is it a good thing:biggrin: Thanks for the look
    Lou

14. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Good grief Lou! I can't imagine having this in my backyard. I would never leave home if I could watch bears. Nice captures!

15. Hi Andy well this so far has been a slow year but in 2004 I was loaded so many that if I went out to my garage at night I took my 41 Magnum with me:wink: Here is one from then This was a very arrogant Mom. Thanks
    Lou
    422553195_82cb19b5aa_o.

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Don't mess with BIG MAMMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOLOLOL

Great shot
    See you kept your distance...lol

17. Great capture Lou. The bear is beautiful, but close encounter with it is not for me. :biggrin:

18. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Excellent captures

19. Right on Gale as this is the one bear I have had trouble with and it was at this visit. I had not seen the cubs as she still had them in the woods and when I approached her (about 20 feet) she raised all the hairs on her back. (I didn't know it was a female at this time) but as this happened I started to back off very slow. I had a 70 to 200 on a D70 at the time and the photo below is how she looked when she was telling me to back off. It was at that time I saw the cubs come out of the woods to join in the feed she had knocked on the ground. This calmed her down and I took this photo at about 20 feet and a few more and then let them clean up the remaining seed.
    Later in the summer I went to go out to the garage in the morning and when I opened the back door she was standing on her hind legs like a man and the two cubs were on my picnic table on the deck. Needless to say after opening the door and seeing her I quickly closed it and returned to the kitchen window with a 24 to 120 lens to get the cubs on the table
    Lou