1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Susan Sideways

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Harry Lavo, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Just a little something different I shot while working on a self-imposed "assignment" this past weekend:

original.

I'd be interested in knowing if you would have gone for a much greater depth of field to sharpen the whole flower for this shot? I feel ambivalent about it.

Thanks for looking.

2. Hi Harry. . . . having shot a few "sideways" images myself I can tell you the F. stop won't help when shooting that close.......I just started using Helicon Focus yesterday.......by taking numerous shot at slightly different focus points, you can bring the entire subject into sharp focus.......If you haven't tried it yet; give it a shot.

3. Harry,

Personally, I would go for a greater depth of focus. I find the leading petal a bit distracting.
    Just my $0.02.

4. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Just my guess, Harry, but I think the existing DOF would have worked better if you had used an angle oblique to the leading petal rather than shooting head on along its axis. As shot, that petal looks like something that got in the way rather than forming a logical lead into the focus area.

5. Wow, Gerald, I never heard of that trick. Thanks for the tip.

Not a bad $0.02. I too find it distracting much of the time. But that said, I said I'm ambivalent because sometimes when I look at it it seems to sharpen the focus on the button and stem by contrast.

Interesting comment, Bob. I think you are right. I actually took these in a hurry while aiming for another look (you'll see in Collective Shoot #95 if you join us) and didn't give it much thought. Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.