Susans with the D700

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by lanthier, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Hi All,

Not been much of a participant here of late. Was selling my D300 and waiting for the D700. It arrived today. Here are a couple snaps from the yard this afternoon.

With the 105VR

72928susam2-vi.

72928susam1-vi.

I have only snapped about 20 frames, but love the viewfinder, love the shutter sound. Love that it feels just like the D300 and I don't have to learn everything...

2. Hey Rich
    So far what do you think?

3. nice, rich
    i want to hear YOUR thoughts about this camera as well..... please

4. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Glad to see you're quickly putting the D700 to work Rich, I can't wait to see what you're going to do with it over the coming weeks.

By the way what has happend to your avatar?

5. Wow. So nice and clean, and such lovely bokeh, Rich. Which lens to match that delicious camera?

6. Afraid I haven't kept up with the new cameras; 3 is enough for me! Would be interested in why you went from a D300 to the 70 however......BTW, I enjoy those kinds of shots.

7. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Nice Rich, I look forward to seeing A LOT more.

8. Rich,

Nice. I too look forward to images from the new camera as well as your thoughts on the machine.

9. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Rich I really like both of these shots.

These would be great stock photo shots.

Well done sir.

10. Nice looking shots, How much different does the 700 over the 300 in your hands?

11. Thanks Joey and Greg. So far so good! I am not a really good reviewer, but so far there is nothing that drives me crazy. All the changes are positive! Low light performance is fantastic, and focusing seems VERY quick. Subjectively, it seems faster than my D300, but man, that was fast to me too. BIF? Who knows, there are no BIFs in my basement. There are many nice touches. It certainly is heavier, but feels very much like the D300 in the hand. The menu system is very similarly laid out, with more options of course. Some have talked about the CF door, I like it, no problem. Some have talked about the VF, I find that it really blows me away, a huge difference from the D300. I am an eyeglass wearer, and often I forgot that shooting information was available. Not so with the 700 so far... Some have talked about the multi-selector, and I find it very nice actually. Maybe I am just to easy to please...

Thanks Robert! Avatar has been updated to reflect (pun intended), the new gear.

Thanks Harry. I was anxious to the get the 105VR on it as it is one of my favorite lenses. Seems to work just fine with it! I have a few others that I am anxious to try... :wink:

Hi Gerald, the switch to me was evolutionary and part of my overall gear plan. I have a small house and often shoot in rooms that require the view that FX gives. Sure I can could get wider DX lenses, but I am so anxious to try my 24-70 and get that view. Also, I am very interested in the low-light performance and if my quick and dirty shots tonight are any indication, wow, big difference. See my comments above as well.

12. You know you will Paul....

THanks Steven. My previous reply includes a few more observations.

Very kind of you Rod. Thanks.

Thanks Tony, feels very similar based on my limited experience with it so far. See earlier comments too for more information.

13. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Congratulations with your new toy Rich. Beautifuls shots. The bokeh is awesome. As usual the composition and exposure is spot on. Have you been noticing the difference in shooting distance to get the same magnification as the D300?

14. Lovely sunflower shots and bokeh! UhOh, I was very happy with my D300, I hope I don't get tempted!

15. Thanks Torben, yes, you do have to get closer, but I expected that. I may have to re-acquire the 200... Truly, I have not shot enough with it to tell anything very clearly yet, other than some basic observations of joy. Also, I am not terribly observant about my gear :rolleyes: !

16. Thank you Birgit. Enjoy that D300, it is a fine camera...

Here is one more Susan from yesterday. Love how that lens just blasts the dull background into oblivion!

f5, 1/125, 105VR, handheld...

72928susam3-vi.

17. dhudspith

dhudspith

Jan 7, 2006
    North Texas
    Good stuff Rich... I don't mind saying that I've got some camera envy going now. I was happy with my d200 while everyone upgraded to the d300, but now I'm starting to drool over the d700. I'm sure it will only get worse as more photo's start showing up on the Cafe. I'm still waiting in fear for those first low light/low noise photos that just make me cringe with envy.

18. Great work Rich......the 105vr is also a favorite of mine.

19. Thanks Dave, it's a very nice cam. I am just working on a few hosta blooms that I took while cooking dinner tonight... They'll be up shortly...

Thanks Peter, it is the lens that COMPELLED me to switch to Nikon last year. I am glad to see it performs as well on the D700 as it did on the D300.

20. Very nice Rich. Good news to hear about the VF. I too wear glasses and all tooo often don't look at the info available cause it is too hard to see especially with the bifocals.
    Like that lens too it is spectacular.
    Barb

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.