Sushi anyone?

From a food shoot I did today. Kept long side to 800 pixels...too bad, it looks even better full size :biggrin:

Shot with D2X, 24-70 f/2.8, and 2 Alien Bee 800's. Lighting in the restaurant was not good, the AB's definitely saved the day. And yes, my wife, myself, and my kids ate it all......and there was more food, I still have processing to do. Any C&C would be appreciated, never done this before. How could it be cropped different? My current method on these was just to keep the plate in view for posting these to the web.

Hawaiin Roll:

330993489_qwGpn-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Spider Roll:

330993534_z8BBc-O.jpg

Rainbow Roll:

330993834_ZY6E4-O.jpg

Dragon Roll view 1:

330993666_vqxcc-O.jpg

Dragon Roll view 2:

330993762_TSEx8-O.jpg

These are wonderful, John! My only suggestion would be to leave a touch more room on the bottoms and sides. Not much, though! Just a tad more.

Great work and, darn you, now I'm hungry again! And I just had pizza about an hour ago! :biggrin:

That dragon roll is one of the most impressive bits of food I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing these lovely images.

I am inclined to agree with Lee about the extra space however, these do feel a bit tight.

Great, thank you! Will do. I'll work with the owner too, gotta see how he wants these presented on the menu. This was a blast to do, would love to do more food photography. I had to work fast before my two "bottomless pits" (children) ate all the good stuff :biggrin:

From a food shoot I did today. Kept long side to 800 pixels...too bad, it looks even better full size :biggrin:

Any C&C would be appreciated, never done this before. How could it be cropped different? My current method on these was just to keep the plate in view for posting these to the web.]

The lighting and clarity are excellent on all 5 samples. They measure high on my drool-meter.

I don't think the shallow angle of attack and tight crop complement the food.
330993489_qwGpn-O.jpg

I can't critique this because Spider Roll is my favorite makizushi :tongue:.
330993534_z8BBc-O.jpg

The perspective is greatly improved over #1, but still too tightly cropped.
330993834_ZY6E4-O.jpg

I like this best. You emphasized the food rather than the plate.
330993666_vqxcc-O.jpg

Imho, Dragon Roll view 2 is a distant second to view 1.
330993762_TSEx8-O.jpg

Uncle Frank, thanks. I definitely agree with you on shot 1. I'll have to look what else I took of it, I know there's others.

Greg, Thanks a lot!

gotta say the shots look good, but how did they taste?? If they tasted as good as they look, double the pleasure.

Dragon roll view 1 looks somehow brighter/better IMHO. Could you have some kind of plain black or white underneath the plate for future shots - the granite look is a tiny bit distracting. Overall they look very appetizing.

In fact I am very mad at you for posting such beautiful shots as I am about to pick up the phone and order $$$$ of sushi takeout instead of leftover chicken from last night..

Makes me hungry.

I think everyone has covered everything. Dragon roll #1 is great but the lemons look just a tad blown. I love the angle of it and how the plate is cropped so the food is emphasized. Maybe if you show that particular aspect of the shot to the owner, he may present the food on the plates so that they can all be rotated a bit.

The Hawaiian roll is my favorite (to eat)

Leah, I will attempt a black bottom in photoshop and see what I can do.

Kevin, I actually toned down the lemons, they were pretty bright.

Jeff, I can assure you, they tasted even better than they look :wink:

these look remarkably similar to the sushi pictures they display at my favorite sushi place (cycling through 25-30 images on a big plasma).

i think i agree with frank, the angle could be a little higher...but not too much. i think ideally you'd want it to be from the angle you'd see it while it was sitting in front of you ready to eat. that's my initial thought, i could be wrong. the colors and everything else are completely gorgeous.

plus, you've got three of my favorites up there...rainbow, spider, and dragon (really, i prefer caterpillar, but their pretty close :p).

i'd say you've succeeded though....because now i really want sushi for dinner (alas, i am broke :p)

Latest threads

Top Bottom