Sushi down the hatch!

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have had both Canon and Nikon since 2015. Main issue at the time was weight, and that the 7DMKII was a better camera for tracking and AF at the time. But then came the D500 and then D850, and I came back home to Nikon and my Canon gear was collecting dust, and I was thinking of selling it off. Then came of course the rumors of the R5 and R6, and it seemed to me that they could be very good cameras for me. The R5 is very impressive, Eye AF seems to be on par with the A9II, very little blackout if any with electronic shutter at 20 fps and so on. I'll do a little write up to let all know what I think so far...
Did not know you were headed the C way. Let us know how you like it as you use it more.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andreas Berglund
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you Louie, much appreciated, i'm very pleased too.

Just to give a short explanation why I am so pleased:
  • This was shot at about 40-50 meters/yards, for a king fishers size even with a 600mm with a TC14 that is a long way away on a relatively small bird.
  • Even at that distance the eye AF locked on to the eye and tracked it, and didn't loose it as the bird was moving about quite quickly
  • If you zoom in to the image, (I encourage you all to do this), click twice to zoom into 4k resolution you see how perfect the camera locked on the eye of the bird, and how much detail it has. And the R5 did that for about 100 images, maybe one of 100 is a little OOF , while the bird turned around 180 degrees and then it was on it again like a magnet, quite remarkable
The technicals on this image are spot on, good subject separation, DOF, tack sharp and very good detail. You should be pleased.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Thank you Louie, much appreciated, i'm very pleased too.

Just to give a short explanation why I am so pleased:
  • This was shot at about 40-50 meters/yards, for a king fishers size even with a 600mm with a TC14 that is a long way away on a relatively small bird.
  • Even at that distance the eye AF locked on to the eye and tracked it, and didn't loose it as the bird was moving about quite quickly
  • If you zoom in to the image, (I encourage you all to do this), click twice to zoom into 4k resolution you see how perfect the camera locked on the eye of the bird, and how much detail it has. And the R5 did that for about 100 images, maybe one of 100 is a little OOF , while the bird turned around 180 degrees and then it was on it again like a magnet, quite remarkable
Confirms what my friend says about the R5! He is blown away by the eye tracking! Enjoy testing your new "tool"!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom