1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Swallow in flight.

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Bohdan, Jun 11, 2019 at 7:16 PM.

1. By golly these little fellows sure have erratic flight patterns.
    One day I hope to get a good photo of one doing it's acrobatics.
    Till then, practice, practice, practice!
    Swallow%20in%20flight%201586-X3.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Swallow%20in%20flight%201603-X3.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 1
  2. They are very hard to shoot. Well done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks Alex. I hope to get better shots with practice.

4. You accomplished the impossible Bob. Well done(y).

5. Quick draw Mc Graw, I tried them in a spray and pray, nary a shot, well done Bob..........

6. Anytime you keep them in the frame and IF call it a win, Bob. If you haven't tried it yet the D850/500PF do an amazing job with focus point set to A. I tried it out this past week and it is the first time I've ever been satisfied when turning the focus point selection over to the camera. Particularly with high contrast between bird and BG it does an excellent job of focusing somewhere on the bird at least.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Nice shot of a very difficult subject. All I get is blurred images when I try.

8. Thanks very much Rick.
    Thanks Darrell.
    Thanks Dan..I have to try the auto focus point selection. Maybe it will increase the keeper rate.
    Thanks Luis..practice practice..also You might try Dan's suggestion. I will do the same.

9. I have a hard enough time getting to see them with binoculars, let alone even thinking about using my big lens on them. Well done Bob!

10. Thanks Nick. I love the way the 500 pf acquires focus even with the 850. Have to try again with the D500 and compare keeper rates.

11. Well done, not easy at all. Perhaps even a faster ss is needed.

12. Agreed.Should have kicked up the ss much more.

13. You did very well there!

14. Thanks very much John. I hope to do better with some more experience in shooting them

15. Please post more and tell us your technique.

16. I will be going out again next week. Part of the secret is being comfortable with the gear being used. I find that the 500 pf coupled with the D500 or D850 in this case acquires focus quickly. Typically for these situations I shoot in manual mode with a high SS though will in good sunlight use a SS of at least 6-8000 next time. Aperture set wide open ( F/5.6 with the 500 pf ) and Auto ISO. I use continuous mode shooting - group or D25 focus points but am looking to try auto focus point as per Dan's suggestion, back button focus acquisition; matrix metering; and most importantly take some time to observe the flight patterns ( even though they seem very erratic there are some repetitive patterns that can be observed.) Then hope that you guessed right on a particular pattern. eg they like to swoop along the water line. Lastly shooting with a camera that has the capability of high FPS eg 8-12 fps certainly helps.

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.