Swallow in flight

Discussion in 'Birds' started by dmwphoto, May 18, 2005.

1. These lil boogers are damn hard to freeze in flight. here is my attempt.
    [​IMG]

2. Far be it from me to criticise your shot. I think it's amazing that you got it. :shock: :shock:

3. Thank you, Gordon. I am actually trying to develop a system to capture small songbirds in flight. Not sure it is going to be worth the effort tho as I am not happy with my results so far.

4. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

The swallow is a pretty darn fast bird, you did well by at least getting his fact in focus and not the wing-tips or tree branches :)

Great shot!!!!

Joel

5. WHOA!! Coming right AT YOU!! :D :D :D

6. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    I've been playing with these guys also. no luck yet. nice shot. And yup, really dang hard.

7. MUCH better then I have ever gotten! Nice shot they are hard to catch!

8. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    I envy your shot. I've been watching barn swallows in and around my barn -- trying to figure out how I could shoot them. I hope you don't patent your system.

9. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Dave

I actually tried this last week and got so damn dizzy chasing these things around with the wimberly, that I almost fell down when I took my eyes from the viewfinder!

I am most impressed :)

10. Impressive capture Dave. I tried last weekend to do it. Not a single good shot out of 50 ( I must point out that D100's 3 frames rate is not suitable for this kind of shot .. :roll: ). These little guys fly quickly and change altitude constantly. But well, there's some benefit from the experience. I can now follow flying ducks more easily.

11. Excellent work, Dave, almost an impossible capture!

12. I appreciate all the comments. I can picture you getting dizzy, Jim, I can fully relate to that.
    Most of the flight shots i get on these small birds I am not actually looking thru the viewfinder. I try to watch them a while and find a "zone", set my exposure with the fastest allowable shutter speed and wait for them to come into the "zone" and fire away.
    sort of like an old wartime saying "shoot em all, let God sort em out"

13. Thanks for the tip Dave. I will try it.

14. Dave;

Very impressive! I have a hard enough time following those suckers without a camera!

Brian

15. YOU DID A GREAT JOB IN CAPTURING A VERY FAST BIRD IN FLIGHT. THANKS FOR SHARING.
    PETE

16. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Great capture, Dave! Flight shots of song birds are extremely difficult for all the reasons noted. I've tried a few times and don't have a single keeper. But that's why we're shooting digital -- shoot all you want without the cost of film and developing!

17. Dave, Dave, Dave, I just can't believe that you just plopped out the "secret" so darned quickly. Next thing you will tell us is that some of the best Sports Shots, like BBall dunks, come from a bunch of remote cameras, all fired at the same time, and then they choose the 1 great one from 3,000 :lol: .

Super shot, and what many may not realize is just how darned hard it is to even figure out where that "zone" is, and then the patience needed. And even with that, there is still no guarantee that once you "mash the shutter", you will get a shot as nice as this.

What would be interesting to see would be about an 8 frame sequence around this.

Very well done.