Swallow tail Butterfly Head and Scales

Swallowtail butterfly, Papilio machaon head, D810, Mitutoyo M Plan Apo 5x infinity microscope objective mounted on a 200mm Micro-Nikkor, [email protected]/60, ISO64, focus stacked using a StackShot, processed with Zerene Stacker and Photoshop. 166 shots.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 Scales shot as above with a 20x objective, 232 shots.

#3 shot as above, 174 shots.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
You are killing me! Words cannot adequately express how good these are! The fine veining in the last one is impressive.

Where do you get the specimens to photograph?

You are killing me! Words cannot adequately express how good these are! The fine veining in the last one is impressive.

Where do you get the specimens to photograph?
Thanks, I collect my own specimens. Generally I have a fairly short turn around time because many specimens change in captivity, especially the eyes.

Another spectacular set, Steve. Very impressive.

I see that you use Zerene Stacker. Have you compared it with others? I've been happy with Helicon Focus, but it was several years ago that I did comparisons and I can't remember why I chose it.

Another spectacular set, Steve. Very impressive.

I see that you use Zerene Stacker. Have you compared it with others? I've been happy with Helicon Focus, but it was several years ago that I did comparisons and I can't remember why I chose it.
Thanks Jim!

Over the years I have tried most software for stacking. I was incredibly frustrated after buying a copy of Helicon Focus, dealing with haloing and not having having an easy and accurate method for retouching from an aligned and sized stack.

Just when I needed it, I heard from Rik Littlefield asking me to beta test a stacking program he was developing. The first image set I tried it on blew my mind and I have been using it ever since. Rik has continuously made improvements, including the capability to program Zerene to process multiple sets automatically. This means I can set up multiple stacks to do the computer intensive processing over night.

This was my first test stack with Zerene. Without all the bells and whistles it did a tremendous job on an image that Helicon could not handle. Rhagium inquisitor, a Cerambycid (long horned beetle).

Thanks Jim!

Over the years I have tried most software for stacking. I was incredibly frustrated after buying a copy of Helicon Focus, dealing with haloing and not having having an easy and accurate method for retouching from an aligned and sized stack.

Just when I needed it, I heard from Rik Littlefield asking me to beta test a stacking program he was developing. The first image set I tried it on blew my mind and I have been using it ever since. Rik has continuously made improvements, including the capability to program Zerene to process multiple sets automatically. This means I can set up multiple stacks to do the computer intensive processing over night.

This was my first test stack with Zerene. Without all the bells and whistles it did a tremendous job on an image that Helicon could not handle. Rhagium inquisitor, a Cerambycid (long horned beetle).
View attachment 1635205
Your applications are certainly much more demanding than mine, and that image provides an excellent testimonial for Zerene. Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom