Swallows in flight

Swallow in flight 8165.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Swallow in flight 8188.jpg

Swallow in flight 8189.jpg

Swallow in flight 8198.jpg

Wow.
That is so tough to do!
thanks. For years this was my nemesis trying to get a decent photo of a tree swallow in flight. Many, many, shutter releases and 14 fps and a great autofocus lock capability on the camera allows me now to get a few decent ones in flight. I have to say its really a lot of fun trying to track these little missiles. When it happens it's a big "YES"
Great series of captures of difficult subjects.
Thanks very much Andy

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Bob, I know the AF of the D6 is very fast.
But, how do you got them?
I've tried shooting swallows in flight for several years, but never came close to your pictures.

I started to collect my money for a D6 btw.
You're guilty ;) :) :D
Klaus

Bob, I know the AF of the D6 is very fast.
But, how do you got them?
I've tried shooting swallows in flight for several years, but never came close to your pictures.

I started to collect my money for a D6 btw.
You're guilty ;) :) :D
Klaus
First of all. Good for you for saving for the D6.
I shot these with the 500 pf hand held. A good combo, light and fast to acquire focus. Similarily the 300 pf. The camera settings were: continuous mode; and either group auto focus or full out auto/autofocus. I find that group autofocus works well to acquire initial focus lock. Auto/autofocus if you can acquire initial focus lock ( depending on what is in the background )works well when tracking. So if one focus mode doesn't work I switch to the other. Also 14 fps helps a lot. High shutter speed. In this case the light was good so I cranked it up to 1/8000. Hope this helps. Next you have to observe their patterns. I found that starting focus when they are coming from a background of trees or something solid then follow them when they get out into the open sky

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
Congratulations on getting these shots! Those of us who try to do this all know how difficult it is to get even one halfway decent shot. These are beautiful!

Excellent! One doesn’t have to say how tough these are to capture.
Thanks very much Allan.
Congratulations on getting these shots! Those of us who try to do this all know how difficult it is to get even one halfway decent shot. These are beautiful!
Thanks Glenn. Much appreciated. I had a lot of fun following these little guys around.

First of all. Good for you for saving for the D6.
I shot these with the 500 pf hand held. A good combo, light and fast to acquire focus. Similarily the 300 pf. The camera settings were: continuous mode; and either group auto focus or full out auto/autofocus. I find that group autofocus works well to acquire initial focus lock. Auto/autofocus if you can acquire initial focus lock ( depending on what is in the background )works well when tracking. So if one focus mode doesn't work I switch to the other. Also 14 fps helps a lot. High shutter speed. In this case the light was good so I cranked it up to 1/8000. Hope this helps. Next you have to observe their patterns. I found that starting focus when they are coming from a background of trees or something solid then follow them when they get out into the open sky
Thanks for this, Bob! I had not tried the group autofocus yet. What an amazing tool. You’re learning to work very well with that body/lens combo and getting awesome results.

Thanks for this, Bob! I had not tried the group autofocus yet. What an amazing tool. You’re learning to work very well with that body/lens combo and getting awesome results.
thanks Mike. I like the full auto autofocus but most often revert to the group focus. There are a couple in the group focus modes that you can configure to how you want the focus points distributed
You nailed these, a most difficult shot to make. Amazingly good shots.
Thanks Louis. I've been trying for years. Everything seems to be coming into alignment for me in these shots.

Simply stunnning images! They are truly front-page worthy!
Thanks so much Karen.I am flattered. Your comments are very much appreciated.
Wow, sensational Bob.
Perfectly done.
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍
Merci Boblou.
Great captures Bob. They look like bank Swallows.
Thanks John. Most definitely tree swallows here. Bank swallows are predominantly in Southern Ontario, rarely in the north. Also they nest in the sand banks of rivers. These nest in trees.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom